Premed 101 Forums

which stats course to take?

Hi everyone:

hope your summers are going well.:D

I'm going into 2nd year, and currently making my timetable. I was just wondering of the two possible stats courses: Analysis and Interpretation of Biological Data, 2244 a/b (the old 244a/b) OR Statistics for Science, 2122 a/b(the old 222a/b), which one is better/would you recommand, and why?

the biological one has a lab, to anyone who has taken it, what do you do in the lab? does lab translate into easy marks(as some first year labs did)

any input would be appreciated

I just took Bio 244 in the past year. It's a really simple straightforward intro to stats course.

Exams are multiple choice. The labs you guys can work together with your friends and ask the TAs for tons of help. Labs are optional to show up to. Take the course with the female instructor..I can't remember her name. The male one is MUCH harder (cuz he doesn't allow cheat sheets), but the female one does.

My friends took Stats 222, it's much harder. Stick with Bio 244, you won't regret it.

thanks!

well, I can't tell if the instructor is male or female, only their last names show up on the timetable.

Did you take it in the first or second semester? cuz the instructors are different. The first semester one is Keyghodadi, the second one is Scott...ring a bell?

I took 222 cause I didn't want to sit through another lab (especially a stats lab!)

Turns out I couldn't stand to sit through a two hour stats class either. But it wasn't that hard. I self-learned it on my own, and got literally the exact same mark on every exam (87). That pretty much represents the proportion of material that is in the book but not in class I guess, lol. (I certainly don't advocate doing this though, 2nd year was my "slacker", "where-the-hell-am-I-going-with-this-degree-crisis" year, so I wasn't putting my best effort into a few things, particularly stats.)

But yeah, Kahn's course is easy, the m.c questions on his practice exam are often either identical in format, or literally identical to those on the exam.

Take bio-stats. I took it with Scott, and he's a great guy, but not the best prof. His exams are fair, but I had to self-learn the material because I didn't find his lectures really useful. I had a friend who took it first semester, and their set of notes was amazing, the lecturer seemed much more organized.

If you study and do the work, bio-stats will be your friend. Although, the labs are definitely a PITA.

Archived