Premed 101 Forums

Caduceus tattoo - cool or cheesy?

So, I really want to get a tattoo. I always have. I've never had anything that I felt I'd want on my body forever (I get sick of things easily), but medicine has always been my real passion. I've worked my entire life to get this far.

So I was thinking - what about a Caduceus or Asklepian (the two symbols historically associated with medicine). You could personalize them in all sorts of ways, and it would be something that actually had a deep and significant meaning for me (which I feel is important, I'm not a fan of meaningless "well I was drunk and it seemed like a good idea at the time" tattoos).

Is it cheesy? Is it one of those things that would be kinda like "Yeah, we get it, you're in medicine :rolleyes: "? Obviously it comes down to a personal decision in the end, but I was wondering if there are any general attitudes out there regarding it.

Hi there,

I suppose it's understandable to get a tattoo of a medical symbol or totem if you're that into your career. An example: a friend of mine's a CA. Loves being a CA. So what he did was get the "CA" logo tattoed on his arm, but the symbol is in flames. (Added a bit of an edge to the whole deal, I guess.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

The whole asclepius vs caduceus debate brings back memories of my history of med prof ranting and raving about the topic.

But I must agree with ploughboy. I would go asclepius as it has real ties to historical tradition.

Plus today the staff of caduceus seems to be used extensively in dentistry, chiropractic med, etc. I think asclepius in general is more distinct to your career.

That is my two cents.

Yeah, I know the asklepian is the more historically correct one - though, oddly, it seems to be less recognized by the general public as a symbol of medicine in North America.

I know that I've seen quite a few caduceus tattoos in my time, but no asklepians...so I wondered if the asklepian is nerdier, kinda like "Well, I know that most people aren't aware of this, but this is the historically correct symbol and not the one that was used as a publisher's mark and mistaken as having medical implications."

It doesn't really matter whether anyone else thinks its cool or cheesy, it matters whether you really want it or not. Just get something you're happy with. :) Although I would recommend getting it somewhere you can easily cover up.

I have a couple (got them when I was a teenager and before giving any thought to medicine) that I had to cover with make up for interviews, just to be safe (wrist and ankle) and its kind of a hassle to have to do that.

Sheena,

You're right. It doesn't matter what people think. I just didn't like the idea of naively walking into something that might have associations that I didn't know of (like maybe having a caduceus would be a source of mockery for having a technically incorrect symbol on you for the rest of your medical career!).

If I get it, I'll definitely go with the asklepian. As for easily covering it up - I was thinking left shoulder. Should be covered up by scrubs at all times, so I don't think there would be any issues there.

The Caduceus and the Staff of Aesclepius are two different symbols standing for two different things.

The Caduceus classically represents commerce and business. The image of two serpents rising onto a needle has its roots in the ancient practice of relieving cutaneous myiasis by using a needle. The needle was stuck in the skin and the larvae would crawl up onto the needle. This service was sold by practitioners, who would hang a sign on their door - this sign was the Caduceus.

The Staff of Aesclepius has its roots in Greek mythology. Aesclepius was a mortal healer who spent his life trying to bring the dead back to life. He had discovered the secret, and demonstrated it by cutting a snake in half and then putting it back together with his staff - the classic image. Zeus, though impressed by Aesclepius, thought that giving mortal men immortality was a danger to the Gods. He deftly struck down Aesclepius with a lightning bolt, killing him. To honor him, however, Zeus placed Aesclepius among the stars as a constellation.

Thusly, if you are looking for a tattoo that is representative of medicine, I would suggest the Staff of Aesclepius.

...Thusly, if you are looking for a tattoo that is representative of medicine, I would suggest the Staff of Aesclepius.

Solid advice. After some more research, it really seems to be American ignorance that led to the use of the caduceus. I certainly wouldn't want to identify myself as an ignorant American, haha. It's too bad, though, because the caduceus is more interesting graphically (the wings, the snakes, the symmetry).

I'll have to see if I can come up with something kickass involving the asklepian.

Archived