Premed 101 Forums

Continuous Low MCAT

Lannah88

I have taken the MCAT three times now and have continually gotten in the low 20s. In University I have gotten a 4.0. I am at my end of the leash for this test. I have taken the Kaplan course and used various other study materials. I am desperate to get into medical school. I really and not wanting to take the MCAT again. Is there anyone that can give me hints on the test? If not, is there something I can do that will really improve my application strength?

Please, I really need some support here. :(

Groan, that sucks!

First a cop out - i am sure you know not all school even require the MCAT. If you have a 4.0 GPA it would appear you are high competitive for those schools.

hopeagainstodds I think is right about asking about your state of mind on the tests. Clearly you can learn the material. How are you doing on those AMAC practice tests? Is your score balanced, or are you tanking always specific sections?

What University/College, how many years have you completed, and is it a credited degree? I ask this not only because it's hard to believe someone with a 4.0 is getting scores that low, but because it's important in determining the schools you apply to. A handful of schools (McMaster, Ottawa, and U of S only requires a 26N as a formality) don't care about the MCAT so hope is not totally lost.

What University/College, how many years have you completed, and is it a credited degree? I ask this not only because it's hard to believe someone with a 4.0 is getting scores that low, but because it's important in determining the schools you apply to. A handful of schools (McMaster, Ottawa, and U of S only requires a 26N as a formality) don't care about the MCAT so hope is not totally lost.

I thought McMaster never even gets your MCAT scores

Yeah, McMaster shouldn't care. Won't look at it, won't get.

I agree it is surprising that you can get a 4.0 and therefore have great test taking skills, and do so poorly. Suggests the potential to do well is there!

Oh and Sutler your signature makes no sense. There is no way Chuck Norris would ever need surgery in the first place. Chuck Norris isn't afraid of catching diseases, diseases are afraid of catching Chuck Norris :)

Do more practice test? Are you scoring the same on the practice as you do on the real thing?

You've obviously already done practice tests since you've taken the course and you’re obviously smart enough since you got a 4.0. Is it just a case of nerves?

I did a ton of practice tests. I scored upper 20s low 30s. I was a little nervous the first time I did the exam but the last two times it was like a normal exam feeling.

Groan, that sucks!

First a cop out - i am sure you know not all school even require the MCAT. If you have a 4.0 GPA it would appear you are high competitive for those schools.

hopeagainstodds I think is right about asking about your state of mind on the tests. Clearly you can learn the material. How are you doing on those AMAC practice tests? Is your score balanced, or are you tanking always specific sections?

I did upper 20s low 30s on the amac tests. I am always slightly lower in the verbal reasoning section.

hmmm chances are you know the material and need to work on strategy and timing...kaplan has some great tips on this...do u find u get stressed during the actual exam? maybe find a way to relax during the exam...

Yah I did all the kaplan stuff. The only time I was stressed was the first time I wrote the exam.

I go to the College in Red Deer Alberta. It has a great science program with lots of successful students. I am taking a bachelor of science in biology. Even my teachers don't understand why I am not doing well on the test because they all know I know the material well and I study my butt off. Oh well, I am just gonna try to strengthen my application in other areas.

Hmmm it could be Standardized Test Syndrome (STS)....lol k i just made that up but I despise standardized tests...did you ever write the SATs or another standardized test? it could just be that...definitely still apply! with a 4.0 you are competitive and thankfully, in Canada (for the most part) the GPA is weighted more heavily than the MCAT...:)

Good luck!

Archived