Premed 101 Forums

MCAT essay cut-off

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had an idea of what the cutoff is for the MCAT essay portion at UBC.

Unfortunately I scored 36M on my MCAT, however, I do have good marks in my 1st year english courses and 3rd year philosophy courses.

Do you think I should hold off applying until next year when I get around to rewriting my MCAT?

I wouldn't worry about it at all, I got an M as well (damn I wish I didn't overlook that section), anyways I got an interview first time at UBC (except I didn't complete my graduation in time so they had to pull my application) so who knows. But it clearly didn't stop them from considering me...

Flagged = ubc doesn't care what your mcat score is as long as each section is not below a certain number or letter. If it is below that number (7) or letter (n or m i would guess) then they highlight that portion of your application as being weak. however, ubc places next to no weight on the mcat anyway so i wouldn't worry too much about it.

If my written sample in the MCAT becomes flagged (I'm aware that the MCATs are only used at UBC as a sort of last-ditch comparison between two equally promising candidates), will I be given a chance to defend myself or justify the reasons for such a score?

Archived