Premed 101 Forums

You can opt out of the "student donation," at least we could for undergrad. I'm not sure if they charge you that, but for undergrad students, science usually charges us a donation fee ~$75 that we are able to opt out of (probably the same with Schulich). As for the health care fees, at the start of the year go to inprint in the UCC and you can get a form from there. I believe you need your current health insurance card along with the filled out form, and you can pick up a cheque a few weeks later.

Besides that, there's nothing I can think of that you can opt out of.

Honestly, I would keep the bus pass because (a) you might have difficulty getting a good parking spot on campus which you will have to pay for and (B) the transit system in london is actually pretty good [read: frequent, and many bus lines converge on campus with many of them running through campus]. I know students who would drive to a parking lot and then take the bus which would drop you very close to the Medical Sciences building. It sure beats walking up UC hill every morning :D .

It also depends on where you live. If you're near richmond (downtown to masonville), wonderland road, or western road areas then having the transit pass is really handy.

Thanks for the info! The buses are good? I keep hearing conflicting things. Some people tell me it's worse than the TTC (which is already pretty bad for busing, but good for subways, etc.).

The info is on the Student Centre website. You have to scroll WAY down to see your statement and not click the financial info button on the side like me, making me scratch my head for ages wondering where my bill was.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, you might get an advantage that way.

When you get your parking pass, make sure you get to park in one of the lots near med sci (like the one behind social science building or in the medsci/dental sci lot) as opposed to the one behind Elgin or by Brescia (too much walking!)

I didn't have a car during my undergrad so I don't know exactly how the parking system works (whether you get a pass for a specific lot or if it works on any) so I'd double check on that.

Yeah, you might get an advantage that way.

When you get your parking pass, make sure you get to park in one of the lots near med sci (like the one behind social science building or in the medsci/dental sci lot) as opposed to the one behind Elgin or by Brescia (too much walking!)

I didn't have a car during my undergrad so I don't know exactly how the parking system works (whether you get a pass for a specific lot or if it works on any) so I'd double check on that.

the core lots that you speak of (dent sci) are extensively more expensive than the peremieter lots (elgin etc.)....and i think you have to be facility to use them anyways, btw elgin isin't really that bad at all to med sci, 5-10 minute walk max, 5 if you've got mad techno beats playing on the ipod.

The dental science lot is reserved for grad students. My class (of 2008) was able to be considered grad students but it was revoked recently... and now medical tudents get to use Elgin like the rest of the undergrads. One possibility is looking into getting a parking pass at the hospital (not sure if you can as a pre-clerkship medical student, but it was possible in fourth year). It is more expensive than at UWO, but it is closer.

The dental science lot is reserved for grad students. My class (of 2008) was able to be considered grad students but it was revoked recently... and now medical tudents get to use Elgin like the rest of the undergrads. One possibility is looking into getting a parking pass at the hospital (not sure if you can as a pre-clerkship medical student, but it was possible in fourth year). It is more expensive than at UWO, but it is closer.

:rolleyes: I'm not happy to hear that. I don't want to pay some hefty fee to park at Elgin. I live on the other side of campus.. are there any parking passes I can get for the buildings on that side (especially since it will be closer to the med sci building)? Like, what about Essex or London hall? Do you have to actually live at those ones, or do they not have parking lots at all?

Any buildings on that side with parking lots that aren't even affiliated with Western?

Damn, I was really looking forward to never walking up that fraking hill ever, ever again.

• 2 weeks later...
You can opt out of the "student donation," at least we could for undergrad. I'm not sure if they charge you that, but for undergrad students, science usually charges us a donation fee ~$75 that we are able to opt out of (probably the same with Schulich). As for the health care fees, at the start of the year go to inprint in the UCC and you can get a form from there. I believe you need your current health insurance card along with the filled out form, and you can pick up a cheque a few weeks later.

Besides that, there's nothing I can think of that you can opt out of.

How can I opt out from the $75 science donation fee?

Archived