Premed 101 Forums

Pediatric rotation ( RED ,,, OR PURPLE)

Hello every one, I am going to start my clerkship soon and have coupe of questions from upper year.. first of all congratulation 3rd years for almost completing the third year.. here are my questions:

1. i have been asked to pick a group for my pediatric rotation :RED, or PURPLE , I remember one of the color had a bad reputation for spending more hours on calls… would third years comment on their experience on for each of the colors

2. I am still so stuck with the PDA… I we were told to get a PDA that is windows based.. the only PDA that works as smart phone , has WIFI and is windows based is HTC TYTN from Rogers, or HTC 6800 from Bell. If I get a palm that is windows based , would I have problem downloading medical program compare to HTC or HP.. … any one has experienced the HP iPAQ???

Thank you so much

Sara KJ

Meds 2010

1. Team color doesn't affect call - you're on service for 3 weeks and you'll be on call 3-4 times, irrespective of what team you're on.

Red team covers 4-east which is more infants <1yr, Purple covers 4-west, w-north, and 5-east and tends to get older kids. That said, because team numbers are rarely the same, purple team might take some babies and red might take some of the older ones. So make your decision on what age you prefer working with. I was on purple and saw some really interesting cases like new diagnosis T1DM, new diagnosis Addison's disease. Red team tends to have a lot of complex neonatal/congenital issues.

Also, consider what time of year you're doing it in. Purple tends to get flooded with RSV kdis in the winter and spring.

I use the HTC touch, it's windows based, and I love it. I have friends with palm based windows mobile devices who've had no issues.

I think OT6 covered the difference between Red and Purple.

I was on red and really was happy with that choice. I got extremely comfortable with neonates. Didn`t get that much experience with older kids....but I did have a 5 year old and 12 or 13 year old (can`t remember now) due to the fact there were no purple beds when they were admitted.

How much call you get depends on how many students are on red vs purple (it isn`t always equal). So when I was on red there were 4 students....there has to be 1 student on each night. So that works out to 1 in 4 on average. If there were more students then it would have been less.

How busy your call is also is not dependent on team....some nights you luck out and some nights you don't. The way I look at it though, is if I have to spend my night away from home then I hope to at least get 1 admission, so I can maybe learn something.

About the PDA....I bought the HP iPAQ 5?? can`t remember exactly. I never use it. I can`t even tell you where it is. You have no wireless internet access most of the time, so cannot access internet/email. The applications I put on it were confusing in their format. I way prefer looking up drugs in my Tarascon's pocket book (recommend the delux version).

You have relatively easy access to up-to-date on the hospital computers etc.

T-clerk comes web-based, and that is how most people I know painfully enter in their pt data.

So I dunno, up to you if you want to buy it or not. I know the school tells you it is mandatory. But they really wouldn`tknow if you had one or not. For me I feel like it was a big waste of $500-something dollars. I would have rathered spent that money on good books.

To counter that - my HTC needs to be fixed (minor, but annoying) and because I bought it in Hong Kong, I need to send it to Texas for repairs. That means I won't have a PDA for 4-6 weeks, and honestly, I think I'd rather keep it malfunctioning than lose it for 4-6 weeks. I use it a lot - to look up drugs and doses, to look up random weird acronyms, weird eponyms. Sure, Uptodate and google are available, but sometimes when ur in the middle of walk around rounds and want to know what Poland syndrome is - having it in your palm's kinda handy.

PS in my last post I meant red team gets the RSVs.

Yeah...in internal now....thinking of MAYBE digging up my PDA, given all the blah blah blah we talk about. Though I doubt I can look any stupider....I also doubt my PDA will make me look any smarter for this rotation. Either you know the blah blah blah when they ask you or you don`t. So it remains to be seen if I will actually revive my PDA.

well, i guess i am not really trusting my medical knowledge for long time,, so i am going a head and invest some money to save my #$$$.. thanks for all the comments.

cheers

ps: i went a head and chose the purple color since i like the color better tha red, hope i survive....

sara Kj

Archived