Premed 101 Forums

3 or 4 years?

This is posted as one of the academic requirements for Dal med:

3. A four-year degree: The Admissions Committee also recognizes that appropriate preparation for the study of medicine can be acquired through many varied educational backgrounds. The minimum requirement for entry, however, is a baccalaureate degree in any discipline. Although candidates with three-year degrees are occasionally admitted; a four-year degree is strongly preferred.

My question: should third years even bother applying? Or is a 4 year degree mandatory. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question; I am genuinely confused.

It means you have to complete a degree before you can start at Dal. They prefer people who have a degree that took 4 years to complete (ie 40 classes) over those that took three years to complete (ie 30 classes).

So you can be accepted in your 3rd year assuming it is the final year of your degree (ie you're in a 3 year program). You will not be accepted in your 3rd year of a 4 year program (like some Ontario schools will) because you wouldn't have finished your degree.

I hope that helps.

Archived