Premed 101 Forums

Immunization Q ...

Hey all, I've been just getting around to filling in all of my forms to be mailed into the admissions office for Aug 13th due date and I just came across the checklist sheet for immunzations.

Under the Hep B heading it first asks if you have had the standard 3 Hep B vaccines ... check yes

Secondly it asks if "I have documentation of having had an antibody titre done following Hep B immunization which confirms immunity to Hep B" ... uh no

I didn't know that you still needed to have a titre done even though I've already recieved the full immunization series for Hep B. Has everyone just been going ahead and getting the titre done? Titres can take a while, and I'm worried that I have left this too late any feedback would be appreciated.

Yes, you need the titers done as well. Man, that titer was a pain in my ass. I was so *completely* and utterly convinced that I had already done one the previous summer for volunteering, so I do my four, hour-long (at least) trips to the walk in clinic for the tb skin test, and, thinking I'm all done, head down to pick up my old volunteering form, and its NOT on there! And I was leaving for vacation in a couple days. Man, I was so mad at myself.

But luckily I went to another walk in clinic with a blood lab in the same building and they basically did it in two days. And the receptionist didn't even make me see the doc, she just photocopied the result page.

I am also such a huge dolt that when I first got my immunization record back, I was reading the top part (showing checkmarks where you should get vaccines) as the vaccines that I already had! Whoops! ...Alarm bells should have gone off when I was reading that I had received a varicella vaccine at age 1, since I had the chicken pox as a child... thankfully, the two I was missing were on that volunteering form... thank goodness.

I'd say that you don't have to worry about the timing of the titres. I say this because Western says that if you haven't had Hep B done yet, wait till september to get it done for free. So they probably won't mind waiting to get the result of the titre (which is the proof that the vaccination series works/is effective protection). If the titre result isn't good enough(probably for rare cases), you have to do the entire series again.

For me, I have 2/3 of the shots done, with the last one in november so I have to wait anyways.

so if we have a titre done, do we also need proof/records of the 3 shots being done? The titre should be enough on it's own, right?

Well, that would make sense, but I'm guessing they will still require the 3 shots anyway. That info should be on your immunization record, and if you haven't had the shots, you wouldn't be immune, right?

Yeah my immunization record isn't all that great as I've lived in three different provinces growing up and don't have records of all of the stuff. If necessary, I guess I could try to get something from the ministry of education regarding the 3 hep B shots, but hopefully the titre will be sufficient. Not too worried about it, just want to get my titres back though, preferably within the next week, hah.

Archived