Premed 101 Forums

Qs about Dal med

I have a couple of insignificant questions about dal:

Is there a dress code (for first year lectures and clinical experiences)? please comment on men and women's required attire (or req-tire).

Also, is there a microwave and kettle in the med student lounge. I sure like me some pizza pops.

Thank you. If I have any other stupid questions, I will be sure to post.

There is a microwave in the lounge (and a fridge)

No dress code for lectures (except anatomy lab where lab coats and closed toed shoes are required (lab coats can be rented from the department))

For clinical time you have to look nice. How nice depends on who you're working with. For some preceptors a golf shirt is acceptable while others may expect a dress shirt and tie. Some also require that you wear your lab coat.

Here's the official word from Dal med's professionalism policy:

"You are expected to be well groomed, clean, and dressed appropriately when you fulfill responsibilities in settings where you have contact with patients, and preceptors. We ask that you seriously consider the importance of your own appearance and hygiene and its ramifications for patient care. Long hair should be tied back when engaged in procedures. Fingernails should be clean and trimmed. Artificial nails are not permitted. Discretion is advised with heavy jewellery and multiple visible body piercings. Students should be mindful and reflective when balancing self-expression with the preferences of their patients. Aspects of your appearance that reflect cultural diversities will be respected unless they raise a safety concern.

All medical students are expected to choose clothing that is both discreet and appropriate to the physician/patient relationship and the setting (e.g. - collared shirts, blouse, slacks, skirt, or dress, and appropriate footwear).

Dalhousie University and its associated teaching hospitals have a ‘no scent policy’; many patients and staff are sensitive or have allergies. Please refrain from wearing perfumes, colognes, scented aftershaves or scented body sprays. Please use unscented antiperspirants and hair products with no scent or minimal scent."

I have a couple of insignificant questions about dal:

Is there a dress code (for first year lectures and clinical experiences)? please comment on men and women's required attire (or req-tire).

Also, is there a microwave and kettle in the med student lounge. I sure like me some pizza pops.

Thank you. If I have any other stupid questions, I will be sure to post.

like posted above...microwave in med lounge and in the "cafeteria" (which is under construction now and the microwave has disappeared ...). i dont ever remember seeing a kettle anywhere...

for lectures - (almost) anything goes. some people like to dress "nice" all the time...whereas if you're like me - jeans + t-shirt work just fine.

clinical - you're expected to dress nice and "professional" (dress pants + shirt or something along those lines) if you're in the hospital AND even when you're working with simulated patients.

anatomy lab - wear something you don't really care about when you're going to the anatomy labs. your clothes will start smelling like the anatomy lab. lab coats are a must and trust me - you WONT want to wear open-toed shoes.

other labs - whatever floats your boat...i.e. whatever you wear to lecture that day.

Archived