Premed 101 Forums

GPA calculation for coop

Hey,

I am currently in an undergrad Bsc coop program. I was just wondering how they would calculate my gpa? My first year was my only full sept-april year and then i have work 4 months study 4 months. However, my only full year does not make the cutoff, 3.67, will they look at my other terms too because I did better in other terms.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I e-mailed the UWO medical admissions and asked about GPA calculation for co-op students and this was the reply:

The situation for co-op students is a little different and perhaps this will resolve your dilemma - at least as far as Schulich Medicine is concerned.

For co-op students we require 1 year with a full course load (5 full or equivalent courses) taken between September and April. In addition we look at 1 term, either September-December or January-April, with a full course load for the GPA requirement. We do not use a cumulative GPA and do not look at summer courses. Because the course you took in the Winter of 2008 [during co-op] was not part of a full course load, we would not consider it for the GPA.

I hope this helps.

M Kennard

Admissions Medicine

Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry

The University of Western Ontario

So I guess you don't need 2 full year above the cut-off for co-op just a full year Sept.-April and then ONE more semester.

I've been e-mailing him about this as well. Unfortunately, I never had a Sept-April year, only a Jan-August year. We had mandatory co-op every 4 months, so there was no way I could do a Sept-April year. Hopefully I'll get a response.

What sucks more is that the 2nd semester of that full year is when I had my worst marks, due to a family death and a relationship ending in the same week. Needless to say, I was a wreck for that week.

Hey HorizonXP,

Let me know what you find out. I just finished my second year and after getting this response i have decided to opt out of co-op and go intro a regular stream.

I guess if you need one full year and one additional semester (I hope that he didn't lie to me about this :P) I would suggest taking a "special year" and then using one of your earlier kickass terms and then applying.

Horizon, I a Waterloo student too! I'm still technically in co-op cause I'm on a work term right now in Kingston. I'm in biology co-op so I'm gonna go back for my 3A term in the winter and then take advantage of one more co-op term in the summer and then switch into honours science so I can do a full year sept.-april.

You're right engineers don't have a choice at all. But you never know, from what I've heard..the process with co-op is very different. They almost look at it on a case basis because co-op programs differ from school to school. So don't worry!

(I hope that he didn't lie to me about this :P) I would suggest taking a "special year" and then using one of your earlier kickass terms and then applying.

1) MaryAnn is a woman of the female gender.

2) Ya, being in eng'g co-op kinda messes up your med school application. Either kick butt in 4A/4B (hint: avoid ECE 41x courses) or do a special year.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, sorry about the "he" assumption. I just saw M Kennard and made an assumption.

Anyways, I e-mailed her back:

"I have one final question regarding what you have told me. You

mentioned that ONE full year and ONE additional semester will be

looked at in the admissions process. I wanted to know if ONE semester

(Jan.-April) above 3.7 and meeting the MCAT cutoffs is enough to be

considered for an interview and ultimately a conditional acceptance?"

And she responded:

"A co-op student with one semester which meets the minimum GPA and MCAT scores may be invited for an interview provided he/she is taking a full course load in the final year. If an offer of admission were made it would be conditional on maintaining a full course load and meeting the minimum GPA in that final year.

M Kennard"

Archived