Premed 101 Forums

Any deferrer's out there?

I'm applying to meds for the first time and was wondering the policies of Canadian schools on deferring acceptance.

My reason for deferring would be to pursue hopes of competing in the 2012 Olympics, meaning I would have to defer for 2 or 3 years (depending on the year I apply). Is it a good strategy to apply in hopes of receiving a deferral? Are adcoms likely to grant this to me?

The reason I don't want to apply after my campaign is that my MCAT scores will have become outdated.

Any input is appreciated!

That doesn't sound like something the adcoms will be interested in hearing - they expect you to set your priorities in order before applying, and for medicine to be a top priority. Especially since it would involve deferring for years - they would ask you why you applied to medicine if you didn't plan on studying medicine for several years.

The type of case where they might defer for an athlete might be if it was 2011 and, after applying, you qualified for the Olympics. Deferrals are for unforseen circumstances. They aren't for accommodating students who are applying early to guarantee themselves a spot when they're ready for it. You are not planning to pursue medicine until after 2012. They would therefore expect for you to not be applying until or after 2012.

Hey goose,

Another option is to start medical school for two years, but then ask for a year or two years off before clerkship starts to train for the 2012 olympics. I don't know how other schools treat situations like this, but Queen's is pretty sympathetic to requests for time off between years. I know of people who took one year off to have children, to go to grad school, to handle illnesses etc.

thanks for replies.

I suspected that a 3 year deferral might be a little ambitious, but thought I'd put it out there.

I'm now considering waiting until after next year's World Champs to help decide my chances at the Games and whether to apply to meds sooner rather than later.

Man, life decisions suck. Thanks again for input.

I remember seeing the Dean of admissions of UBC speak and she was asked about deferrals and she said that it was only allowed in extreme situations, and specifically mentioned training for the Olympics (though I'm not sure if that would include a 3 year deferral though, as others have mentioned that a long time away).

If I were in your shoes, I'd talk directly to the admission offices of the schools you're interested in.

I'm applying to meds for the first time and was wondering the policies of Canadian schools on deferring acceptance.

My reason for deferring would be to pursue hopes of competing in the 2012 Olympics, meaning I would have to defer for 2 or 3 years (depending on the year I apply). Is it a good strategy to apply in hopes of receiving a deferral? Are adcoms likely to grant this to me?

The reason I don't want to apply after my campaign is that my MCAT scores will have become outdated.

Any input is appreciated!

Out of curiosity, what event would you be participating in at the 2012 Olympics?

I heard you have to win at least 4 gold to help med school apps. You're a loser otherwise.

I heard 2 is the limit - after that they suspect drugs and drop you pre-interview.

the campaign would be in sailing. I was off the circuit this year to focus on school and a summer lab job but recently got an offer to campaign with a great sailor with a big budget (the latter quality being the most important :D )

• 2 weeks later...

According to the rumor mill, there are 2 olympic athletes in this year's class at UT... I think one of them came in 4th in Beijing?

But Goose, I would speak to the the various admissions office, they are usually flexible about this type of things. At the very least, they may waive your MCAT expiration deadline. My colleague got his extended, since he did his PhD in between.

Archived