Premed 101 Forums

USMLE 1 and CaRMS

I understand that there is a section on the CaRMS application where one can indicated if they have written the USMLE step 1 and to submit their score. However, is score reporting mandatory if one wrote Step 1, or is it merely an option for people who choose to do so?

Also, is anyone aware of whether a low score will negatively impact a Canadian residency application? Obviously, Step 1 is not required for Canadian residencies, but it seems to me that programs, particularly more competitive ones, might look for any reason to differentiate between applicants and could choose to regard a low score unfavourably.

If you leave the USMLE entry blank, it will show up as 'Have Not Taken / NA" - so while it is not mandatory to enter the exam score, it is somewhat of a misrepresentation.

I'm not on a residency committee, but I doubt a low score would have any negative impact. Even honours and preclinical grades are not weighted heavily, as each medical school assigns grades differently - let alone the USMLE which only a minority of applicants will have at CaRMS time. Plus people understand that often the goal is simply to pass, and you aren't relying on the score for residency competitiveness like American students are. It could actually be viewed as a positive indicator of motivation since you are setting aside extra time to study for and write the exam. If you think you might need the USMLE later on, I wouldn't let this stop you from taking it.

I was more worried about how taking the USMLE altogether would affect my CaRMS application rather than the score. Would committees think that I had also applied in the US match and hence wasn't that interested in staying in Canada...and would that make me a less desirable candidate??? Who knows.

Anyway, if you leave it blank...how will they find out if you've taken it? I'm guessing they wont...

I guess it would raise much more questions if you were a US grad and didn't report it. Maybe they will take it as an indication that you did poorly.

On the other hand they might be really impressed if you had a high score, making them think: oh this fella could get any residency in the States and he still wants to come back here....

Of course this is all hypothetical!

Primary considerations during CaRMS - how good a resident you will be, how well you will fit in the program, how happy you will be in that location.. Future plans shouldn't matter that much.. many, many Canadian staff have gone to the US for fellowships. Who can predict what your plans will be in 5 years? The USMLE sequence is a useful thing to have - I've known several people who ended up doing the exams during residency.

I was more worried about how taking the USMLE altogether would affect my CaRMS application rather than the score. Would committees think that I had also applied in the US match and hence wasn't that interested in staying in Canada...and would that make me a less desirable candidate??? Who knows.

Anyway, if you leave it blank...how will they find out if you've taken it? I'm guessing they wont...

Archived