Premed 101 Forums

block electives, clerkship and resident

Guest bmw

I hope the moderators would provide me more infomation about these, what are the differences, how hard can it be something like that.

To my understanding, block electives is just a 9-5 job and you can do it anywhere you like as long as you found your supervisor. How about clerkship rotations? Do you do on-call? how much responsibilities for a clerk?

Is it still possible leving 25 minutes drive away?

I know residency is crazy, but how crazy? Thanks for all your replies in advance.

Block electives are done throughout medical school. They are mandatory and they can be done anywhere in whatever you want (as long as they're approved by your advisor). It's essentially a 9-5 job during that period.

Clerkship rotations are part of your 2nd and 3rd years at Mac. They are also mandatory. Block electives are scattered throughout your clerkship years. As for on-call requirements and responsibilities, I'll leave that to someone who knows.

Residency is your post-graduate training in your specialty of choice (e.g. internal medicine or general surgery). But that's the extent of my knowledge on that.

With the new curriculum at Mac, block electives are 7 weeks in the summer of 1st year, 4 weeks around Xmas of second year and i think 6 weeks in 3rd year. You can do your elective with whoever you want, wherever you want, as long as you are doing it with a doctor and that you've filled out certain forms ect. Many people travel abroad for these electives. Clerkship starts half way through second year and you have placements as well as in class stuff and review sessions (mostly placements I think). You are on call but not as much as residents (not even close). Residency is crazy (or so i've heard) but that also depends on which kind of residency you are doing...family med versus say neurosurgery.

Hope this helps :)

Archived