Premed 101 Forums

NAQ Number of Activities

So I'm just wondering what's a realistic number of activities one should have under the non-academic experiences section. I have around 20, most of which are fairly substantial, but I still have 1,000 or so characters left. How many activities are other people putting down? Should I use short (like less than 2 week) travel experiences as "filler", or should I just leave it as is?

I have 35. I don't think it matters, so long as you find each one meaningful. I have a week-long item (city-wide fund raising) and a seven-year-long item (formal sports). The only down-side of having more than 20 items is that you can only use a fraction of the 250 characters explaining the duties of each.

Is the app down for you?

Does anyone know what kind of weighting is placed on the autobiographical essay portion versus the activities list? I guess I'd suspect that it's about equal, but then again it seems like UBC has pretty strict evaluating criteria and might use some sort of point system whereby you simply get one point per meaningful activity?

I have 23 activities, but I left off a few things because I felt that I'd be better off giving more thorough descriptions for the more substantial activities that I had rather than just piling them all into the application. I have about 100 characters left, so after I'm done editing if I still have a bunch I'll probably add one more.

I wouldn't start adding inconsequential things just to use up the available characters though.

Does anyone know what kind of weighting is placed on the autobiographical essay portion versus the activities list? I guess I'd suspect that it's about equal, but then again it seems like UBC has pretty strict evaluating criteria and might use some sort of point system whereby you simply get one point per meaningful activity?

I had asked them about this in the past and they mentioned that you wouldn't get credit for experiences that you place in your essay that aren't in your list of activities. From that I'd gather that the essay acts as an opportunity to let you go into detail even beyond what you are able to do in your activity list. I think it's why the felt it was alright to cut down the character limit per activity.

I was also wondering if it matters how many activities you have in each section. Can you 'max out' a section? Also, there is a section to put down research experience, but I already listed that for in the job section, should I repeat it?

I don't think it's a big deal. There will be a lot of overlap in terms of activities falling into multiple categories, so I'd imagine you'd get credit in each area.

As for the research, as far as I know, your employment history is part of your NAQ score so it isn't necessary. I'd bring it up again if you have the space available though.

There are two organizations that I have volunteered extensively with, including numerous different events, fundraisers, etc. I really don't see the point of listing each individual activity I have done with the organizations since each event will require the same verifier and then I will have lots of entries. However, if I put all the events down under one entry then I have very few entries. What do most people do?

Archived