Premed 101 Forums

Orientation week

I actually do kind of feel similarly to mistah_g about the whole "having to play games" thing (which is why I really need to point out that I don't mean it in a snooty way!). I've never been into games my entire life (even bored games- yawn, although I've had some decent times with a few like trivial pursuit).

I prefer the activities that are a little more geared towards the professional side of med- like the information sessions and stuff. But with games and goofy activities? I just feel silly and like I'm trying to be "not myself" and pretending to enjoy something I don't. I felt really out of place and "too old for it" in undergrad frosh week. I don't mean that as too old to be doing something cause I find it immature, etc, but just that I feel too old to enjoy it and feel comfortable with it.

I have friends in various industries, and whether they be in business, medicine, trades, sales, etc., there are always team-building and leadership workshops. They involve games, but the thing is, there's more to it than playing those games and activities. You can gauge a lot about someone from how they partake and play in these games, and learn who you may work well with (and not well with) as colleagues, and how to work with them. 40-50 year old business execs participate in these - they're not immature, unprofessional activities.

LOL, ...funny mental image of 50-year-old suits playing team building games (hmm, I remember when the X-files made fun of this- they built a tower of furniture or something, hehe). I have definitely heard of these and even been to them in a summer job where I worked with a bunch of middle aged men. And everyone complained about it! I'm sure when I'm that old I'll feel even more annoyed. Oh well, its part of life, I suppose.

It sort of points to a transition in the way learning, especially of soft skills (leadership, communication, planning) is delivered.

Alot of emphasis is being placed on the "facilitation" idea that focuses a lot on games, team activities etc.

I think it some instances it has been shown to be a better way of having a good impact. But there is definitely good facilitation and bad facilitation. And I agree there is a general tendency for older generations especially to prefer more classic 'lecture style' learning. I hear it from my dad at the training he does, I think he's just more ticked that the instructor gets to basically sit around while the teams work, that would be an example of bad facilitation.

But way off topic, although I would believe that western will put on an event that should have aspects that appeal to everyone, they seem to go a good job and I know at least for undergrad soph selection they like to have a mix of outgoing, and more I would say, calm volunteers.

I think many people miss the point of the activities during O-week. They are meant to be stupid, they are meant to be a little childish - as people get older, it is extremely difficult to bond and become friends with other people. In med, you are going to need a support structure of medical school friends to make your life easier. These games are to kind of reverse our maturity for a few minutes so that the bonding process occurs a bit quicker. You'd be surprised how quickly people can start becoming friends and trusting each other. Everyone can play these games and enjoy them. Its just a matter of suppressing your self-conciousness for a few minutes. No one cares that you are acting like an idiot - you're in med school (everyone knows you are smart enough, you dont have to actively convince them). So feel free to act a little childish and have fun while it lasts. Simply put, this is one of the only times you will have a chance to make a good number of friends in a new setting - it is much more difficult to meet people during an information session or a Dean's welcoming address and will become increasingly difficult as the term progresses, are crunched for time and are stressed out.

The games themselves might be stupid, but they serve a valuable purpose.

Wow it sounds like O week is different where I go to school (Wayne). All we did was learn about the school, meet with mentors, went on rounds in the hospitals, and have a "diversity" day.

There definitely weren't any games or "stupid/childish" activities. None that were school sponsored anyhow.

I think many people miss the point of the activities during O-week. They are meant to be stupid, they are meant to be a little childish - as people get older, it is extremely difficult to bond and become friends with other people. In med, you are going to need a support structure of medical school friends to make your life easier. These games are to kind of reverse our maturity for a few minutes so that the bonding process occurs a bit quicker. You'd be surprised how quickly people can start becoming friends and trusting each other. Everyone can play these games and enjoy them. Its just a matter of suppressing your self-conciousness for a few minutes. No one cares that you are acting like an idiot - you're in med school (everyone knows you are smart enough, you dont have to actively convince them). So feel free to act a little childish and have fun while it lasts. Simply put, this is one of the only times you will have a chance to make a good number of friends in a new setting - it is much more difficult to meet people during an information session or a Dean's welcoming address and will become increasingly difficult as the term progresses, are crunched for time and are stressed out.

The games themselves might be stupid, but they serve a valuable purpose.

I agree. This is going to be the first time EVER that I am hanging around med students! I never hung out with premeds in undergrad so I was spared all of the angst, this is definitely going to be interesting. :D

Archived