Premed 101 Forums

Orientation week

As much as I am glad that I got in, and as much as I am looking forward to school, everytime I think about orientation week I cringe.

Yes, yes, most people seem to be super excited about this week of fun, games, partying, etc. etc. and are all super eager to meet the whole class.

To me, that's very overwhelming. I don't like the intensity of "fun" and "games" and "clubbing" for every single day for almost a whole week. I can be social, but not in this setting. I'm not very social around big groups of people I don't know. (why do we all need to be extroverts without a cause?)

So now I'm feeling pretty anxious and kind of guilty for not being happier about it. Just wondering if other people feel the same, because it certainly doesn't seem like it.

Yes mango, ditto to everything you said.

Actually its funny, there is a discussion going on about this right now in the premed forum in the "partying" thread.

I brought it up there cause I figured there must be fellow introverts out there for whom this stuff is pretty stressful and draining. (Not that we don't appreciate all the effort that's put into it- hence the guilty feeling!) Its just not the cup of tea for the introvert. And that's perfectly okay. :) I find it works better to just be honest about how you "operate". I've found that people are actually pretty understanding when they know I am skipping their parties cause I'm physically drained/ overwhelmed, instead of cause I don't want to see them or something like that. And I guarantee you there are others in the class who feel the exact same way and are just not speaking up (cause it makes us seem like "party-poopers" I guess). Well, I'm fully ready to admit that I'm a party-pooper. But I'm still a nice person and am happy to meet my classmates on a slower, less-party-based manner (ie. preferably in class/ group).

I'm a pretty introverted guy, and a non-drinker, and I'm still looking forward to O-week like crazy. It's a chance to get to know my classmates pretty well, really quickly, and it's a giant celebration of our accomplishment getting into med school. I really see it as a bonding experience for the group...and I'm not sure about your school, but at mine, there isn't all that much emphasis on clubbing/drinking so much as group activities.

your experience during the interview period is likely to parallel ur experience during O-week (minus the stress of the actual interview of course). No one is going to be really comfortable, regardless of their personality. Just go with the flow - if you dont enjoy it, dont go - in the long run, one week is not going to impact your relationships a whole lot; although it is likely to help you forge a few bonds to ease your discomfort of being at a new school with new people and few familiar faces (for most).

I completely agree with 1234's post. I'm very excited for o-week but I know there is a sense of nervousness inside me. That being said, I'm sure a lot of others will feel the same way. So for me, O-week is more about breaking the ice and beginning to build bonds.

For the record guys, nothing during O-week, is mandatory (at least here at Queen's). If you wanna skip something, feel free. It is meant to be fun and a chance to get to know classmates, not force people into uncomfortable situations. If you'd prefer to sit at home and unpack or something, nobody will hold it against you (and if they do, well they are a little too strict anyways :P ).

Yes mango, ditto to everything you said.

Actually its funny, there is a discussion going on about this right now in the premed forum in the "partying" thread.

I brought it up there cause I figured there must be fellow introverts out there for whom this stuff is pretty stressful and draining. (Not that we don't appreciate all the effort that's put into it- hence the guilty feeling!) Its just not the cup of tea for the introvert. And that's perfectly okay. :) I find it works better to just be honest about how you "operate". I've found that people are actually pretty understanding when they know I am skipping their parties cause I'm physically drained/ overwhelmed, instead of cause I don't want to see them or something like that. And I guarantee you there are others in the class who feel the exact same way and are just not speaking up (cause it makes us seem like "party-poopers" I guess). Well, I'm fully ready to admit that I'm a party-pooper. But I'm still a nice person and am happy to meet my classmates on a slower, less-party-based manner (ie. preferably in class/ group).

*raises hand* Don't worry, you're not the only one =P Yeah, I was driving in London at like 1 a.m. (packing anyone? gahhh) and I saw LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of party people allllll around downtown. Clubbing and the night life isn't really my style, but hopefully o-week will be fun. I remember during frosh though, it was only 4 days, and I already got sick of all the cheering after the 3rd day. But overall, it wasn't too bad =P

your experience during the interview period is likely to parallel ur experience during O-week (minus the stress of the actual interview of course). No one is going to be really comfortable, regardless of their personality. Just go with the flow - if you dont enjoy it, dont go - in the long run, one week is not going to impact your relationships a whole lot; although it is likely to help you forge a few bonds to ease your discomfort of being at a new school with new people and few familiar faces (for most).

This is what I'm hoping. I actually had lots of fun during interviews. I'm ok with that kind of socializing, just not the crazy stuff I did as a teenager.

Yeah, I'm also hoping for a bit more maturity in the activities compared with undergrad o-week (or "frosh week") -and I trust you guys when you say that it will be. Puts my mind at ease somewhat. I mean, (and I really don't mean this as snooty in any way!), I just felt like a giant idiot and soooooo out-of-character running around yelling chants and acting goofy in frosh week. Just not my idea of a good time, I guess- its just not "me". I'm such an old fogey in what I find enjoyable sometimes, but I like it that way, darnit!

This is what I'm hoping. I actually had lots of fun during interviews. I'm ok with that kind of socializing, just not the crazy stuff I did as a teenager.

I'm kind of worried about this, because I wouldn't call my interview weekend such an enjoyable experience. I apologize for feeling this way, but I felt quite out of place. Mind you, I was only with maybe ten other interviewees.

Wow, how much socializing did people do in their interview weekends? I showed up an hour or so early, watched the video, maybe talked to a second year for ten minutes or so (although we were all just talking about how nervous we were)- and then interviewed and promptly left (cue massive coming-down-off-the-adrenaline headache), overjoyed to be done.

I can't really say anything other than the "being done" part was enjoyable. Hooboy. Most nervous I've ever been in my life.

In addition to not really enjoying partying-type activities and excessive socialization, I also think part of my lack of desire to go to o-week activities is the fact that I'm not changing schools. I would be more motivated to go to stuff if I didn't know anybody in London and needed to make new friends (although I would still be really stressed about it and dreading it- actually probably moreso, since I'd be alone, but I'd be more motivated to go). As it stands, most of my close friends are actually staying in London, my boyfriend is here for at least another three years, so I'm not too motivated. As an introvert, I prefer to have a small group of close relationships (and I already have it) and have little interest in making "casual acquaintances". So, I just don't really desire more friends. If it happens, great! But I'm not actively motivated to look for more.

I'm feeling the same too. I can't believe we have to play little games and do skits and the like. How old are we again? Isn't this supposed to be mature and professional? And I mean, we're going to be spending the next four years with these people; I'm sure we'll get to know each other quite well!

Anyways, 2 more days. Anyone else from UBC?

You have no idea how glad I am to read that other people feel the same way. The facebook group definitely points to the opposite!

I guess I'll just not force myself to go for everything and that I'll just try to have as much fun as I can on my own terms...and have an open mind etc.

I agree with Sheena that most of my friends are here anyway. And I"ll be going to the same school for 9 years by the time a graduate lol.. I would like to spend some time with my friends during the last week before school begins.

You have no idea how glad I am to read that other people feel the same way. The facebook group definitely points to the opposite!

I think that's just because expressing our true feelings on some of this is kind of an unpopular opinion. As Icebox demonstrated, it sometimes makes us seem like we are being elitist or no fun and such. And I can totally understand why people react that way, I mean, I don't blame you. (Just so you know, I really don't mean it that way, I promise!)

That's one reason why I usually keep quiet about this stuff IRL with people I don't know well- I mean, I'm quite comfortable venting a little (or a lot) in the anonymity of the internet and to my friends/ family who know me (I've probably been driving them crazy with my "bah, o-week!" rants for the past while- thankfully another introverted friend of mine is similarly disgruntled with her impending grad school o-week), but I'd never post anything like this on Facebook- I don't want to put a damper on everyone else's fun after all. But yeah, my point in all this rambling (and I think this thread has proven it) is that we are not alone, just sort of "hiding" in the minority. :)

Facebook seems to be the place for the light-hearted "woo-hoo, can't wait, etc" posts, but not the place where people actually have serious discussions about things like homesickness, nervousness, anxieties associated with starting med school and o-week, etc (and I'll bet you most people have at least some of these thoughts to some extent). Nobody has serious discussions on facebook cause we really don't even know each other (and yet we are not anonymous) That's one of the reasons why I infinitely prefer internet forums to facebook (which I rarely use). You can be totally honest, even with total strangers because you are anonymous. Sort of like that phenomenon of meeting a stranger in a bar you never plan on seeing again and ending up telling them your life's story and innermost thoughts.

A couple more small points, since this seems to be our venting space; I really wish UWO's people were being less cryptic about what the actual activities are for us. It would really immensely help out the obsessive-planner-control-freak side of me to know exactly what we are doing. I hate surprises when it comes to social activities, but I guess others must find that more exciting? Also, I kinda wish we weren't in teams and it seems, competing with other teams in some of the activities(?) Cause that will really only further make me feel crappy and guilty if I skip stuff (letting down the team and all) and up the pressure to show up to everything. Oh well. I will try to stay positive and see how it goes.

Yeah I don't agree about the "mature and professional" point either. People need to act like that in certain situations, and o-week isn't necessarily one of them.

I'm not big on cheering or doing undergrad frosh activities either, but maybe it'll be okay, who knows. But hey, some people seem to love it a lot, so as long as some are really happy about it.

I think the groups thing is not a bad thing, since it's hard to know > 100 people if they're all mashed together. The competition thing---I guess just adds a twist to it? Hopefully people realize it's for fun and not take it TOO seriously. But I've noticed that all residences, etc. do this whole "house points" idea, so it must work to some extent in team bonding heh.

I guess I am pretty realistic, because I know that I won't get along with EVERYONE in the class. Obviously there will be people whose personalities are different from mine, people who may not like my personality and vice versa. I'm just hoping at least > 50% of the people, I can get along with haha. Okay more like > 90%, but maybe that is wishful haha.

Archived