Premed 101 Forums

you guys don't do GPA over there?

hrmm lol its seems so foreign haha. I'm from Ontario.

What sort of MCAT requirements do you have?

What is AQ/NAQ?

These terms are unfamiliar to me.

UBC doesn't really care for the MCAT. It's a flag in the post-interview process.

AQ = academic score. >85% average = 25/25

NAQ = non-academic score. As an OOP with a perfect AQ you would need at least 17/25 NAQ to get an interview (42/50 total). I believe as an IP with a a perfect AQ you would need 11/25 NAQ to get an interview (36/50 total). Again, I'm not too sure about the IP total, but it is significantly lower.

Keep in mind that virtually every OOP applicant has a perfect AQ score, so stakes are extremely high for extra-curricular involvement. I've applied twice unsuccessfully due to my NAQ score. Just search for NAQ to read more about how tough it is to get these points. Their website has more information in regards to how these points are awarded.

The application is fairly lengthy, so if you're willing to put in the time, go for it. Though I do recommend you take a look at the accomplishments of other successful and unsuccessful applicants to somewhat gauge your NAQ score.

I took a look.

My AQ should be 25/25. I'm a tad sketched out by my NAQ though. I spent all of my summers during Uni in research labs. I suppose I should have been volunteering in some third world country. ><

It seems like the MCAT is pretty worthless at UBC. The average entering MCAT was 30. In Ontario, its like 35 (there are strict cutoffs). It doesn't seem like they take it into consideration at all.

Archived