Premed 101 Forums

Biology Question + Answer

The Law

Thyroid hormone increases activity of Na+/K+ atpase, and also, increaes protein synthesis. I'm confused as to why the basal metabolic rate goes up with thyroid hormone, though... are all major energy sources (fats, carbs, AND protein burned with this increased metabolic rate)... it seems counterproductive to be synthesizing proteins and at the same time, oxidizing them to make energy...

Can someone please confirm or reject:

-Liver synthesizes bile acids and bile

-Gall bladder stores bile acids and bile

-Liver secretes bile

-Gall bladder secretes bile acids (to help with absorption of fats in intestine)

That *seems* right...what the heck is the difference between "bile" and "bile acids?"??? The liver does create the bile though, stores it into the gall bladder, and then the gall bladder secretes it under influence of a hormone called cholecystokinkin (CCK). :confused:

Thyroid hormone increases activity of Na+/K+ atpase, and also, increaes protein synthesis. I'm confused as to why the basal metabolic rate goes up with thyroid hormone, though... are all major energy sources (fats, carbs, AND protein burned with this increased metabolic rate)... it seems counterproductive to be synthesizing proteins and at the same time, oxidizing them to make energy...

It IS counterproductive, and they refer to it as "futile cycles of catabolism/anabolism". T3/T4 stimulate gluconeogenesis through lipolysis and proteolysis, which increases the basal metabolic rate. It also, as you said, increases Na/K activity which consumes more ATP and thus raises metabolic rate. Finally, thyroid hormone seems to increase sensitivity to circulating basal catecholamine levels by increasing expression of beta-adrenergic receptors.

That *seems* right...what the heck is the difference between "bile" and "bile acids?"??? The liver does create the bile though, stores it into the gall bladder, and then the gall bladder secretes it under influence of a hormone called cholecystokinkin (CCK). :confused:

Oh, sorry I meant Bile Salts! Not "bile acids"! :o

Thanks for clearing that up.

It IS counterproductive, and they refer to it as "futile cycles of catabolism/anabolism". T3/T4 stimulate gluconeogenesis through lipolysis and proteolysis, which increases the basal metabolic rate. It also, as you said, increases Na/K activity which consumes more ATP and thus raises metabolic rate. Finally, thyroid hormone seems to increase sensitivity to circulating basal catecholamine levels by increasing expression of beta-adrenergic receptors.

Word. :cool:

Anybody have a pnemonic to remember that tricuspid valve is @ the right side, while mitral is at the left?

Ooh, nevermind - M is just after L, so mitral has to be on the left. ;) While, T is close to R, so it has to be in the right.

Remember that the mitral valve is also called the BIcuspid valve...so perhaps the BIcuspid valve is on the BIg side of the heart? I don't know, I like your mnemonic better. Hahaha. :D

Remember that the mitral valve is also called the BIcuspid valve...so perhaps the BIcuspid valve is on the BIg side of the heart? I don't know, I like your mnemonic better. Hahaha. :D

Haha, I prefer yours... that's much better! The combo of the two should make me remember for sure.

Which of the following ions is involved in initiating the cardiac action potential, but not skeletal action potential?

A) High concentration of extracellular sodium

B) High concentration of intracellular potassium

C) High concentration of extracellular chloride

D) High concentration of extracellular calcium

Answer: D

I thought that extracelllar calcium was also important in skeletal muscle, is that not the case? Is it only intracellular calcium from sarcoplasmic reticulum for skeletal muscle?

Which of the following ions is involved in initiating the cardiac action potential, but not skeletal action potential?

A) High concentration of extracellular sodium

B) High concentration of intracellular potassium

C) High concentration of extracellular chloride

D) High concentration of extracellular calcium

Answer: D

I thought that extracelllar calcium was also important in skeletal muscle, is that not the case? Is it only intracellular calcium from sarcoplasmic reticulum for skeletal muscle?

Calcium does nothing for the potential (all that jazz is NA + K), it only helps the muscle contract.

Calcium (like said above) plateau's the AP of cardiac (to prevent tetanus).

Archived