Premed 101 Forums

!!Sept 6th MCAT!!

butterfly

Hey guys whats a relatively nice score to aim for the states??

Made the cutoff for UofT but Queens and UWO is outta the market now lol...

Generally if you're sitting around a relatively balanced 30 give or take a pt or two you'll have a chance at most schools that are Canadian friendly given that the other parts of your application are there.

Mind you applying now to the U.S. is pretty late in the game the way their rolling admissions seem to work.

Generally if you're sitting around a relatively balanced 30 give or take a pt or two you'll have a chance at most schools that are Canadian friendly given that the other parts of your application are there.

Mind you applying now to the U.S. is pretty late in the game the way their rolling admissions seem to work.

No I'm planning to apply next year...i guess I took it a little early...

but I've got a PS12 BS11 VR9(ouch:eek: ) WS O(what the lol there goes a bunch of Ontario schools) so a total of 32O...

I know I have a low chance at top tiers but do I have a decent chace at mid tier schools in the states?

Or i should just go to the apply to american school forum and ask lol...

I would say a 32 O would give you a decent chance in the U.S. as long as you have a decent G.P.A. 3.6+, decent extra curriculars and write some solid secondaries.

Of course there is no guarantee, but the Amercian schools seem to care very little (if at all) about the writing sample.

But with the things listed above and an early application I would be very suprised if you didn't get a few interviews.

Chose your schools wisely, and apply early next year... (June).

31R with a (9, 10, 12). Not disappointed with the overall score so much as I am with the 9 in PS, that was usually my highest score in the practice exams I wrote. But nerves probably played a role, I did run out of time on the last passage and had to guess all but one of the questions.

I think I'm going to write again just to play it safe. My current score should be good enough for UWO (I'm SWOMEN), but not sure about anywhere else.

Has anyone taken any of the online courses? I'm considering taking the Kaplan course for the Physical Sciences.

Also, I'm debating whether or not I should take a Philosophy course, titled "Reasoning and Critical Thinking" as an elective. I figure it would help with the MCAT, specifically with Verbal and maybe even the writing.

31R with a (9, 10, 12). Not disappointed with the overall score so much as I am with the 9 in PS, that was usually my highest score in the practice exams I wrote. But nerves probably played a role, I did run out of time on the last passage and had to guess all but one of the questions.

I think I'm going to write again just to play it safe. My current score should be good enough for UWO (I'm SWOMEN), but not sure about anywhere else.

Has anyone taken any of the online courses? I'm considering taking the Kaplan course for the Physical Sciences.

Also, I'm debating whether or not I should take a Philosophy course, titled "Reasoning and Critical Thinking" as an elective. I figure it would help with the MCAT, specifically with Verbal and maybe even the writing.

Isn't that score good enough for Western nonSWOMEN as well?

Should I be rewriting with a 30T (9/10/11)?

Isn't that score good enough for Western nonSWOMEN as well?

Should I be rewriting with a 30T (9/10/11)?

It's good enough for non SWOMEN, but just at the border.

The cutoffs two years ago were 10/10/10 so I would have been out of luck if I was non-SWOMEN and I figure for schools other than Western, my score might not be good enough. So I'm just going to play it safe and try to get everything at 10 or higher.

It's good enough for non SWOMEN, but just at the border.

The cutoffs two years ago were 10/10/10 so I would have been out of luck if I was non-SWOMEN and I figure for schools other than Western, my score might not be good enough. So I'm just going to play it safe and try to get everything at 10 or higher.

Ah, that makes sense. I think you're good for TO and Queens as well, but you're right, the 9 is borderline. Hmm...I was really looking forward to not rewriting, but I guess I should consider it. Hmph.

I've found humanities courses great for getting used to Verbal type passages. I'm a tad disappointed in that Verbal 10, I scored higher on most practice tests. That trancendentalism (or however you spell it) passage was pretty iffy though.

I wrote it in Toronto, at the convention centre on Dixon Rd.

First time writing it, and I got 11 VR, 12 PS and 10 BS, w/ S in writing = 33S.

My degree is in electrical engineering, so while I would've liked a little higher BS score, I'm pretty happy with it.

Unfortunately, I didn't apply to Ontario schools this year. So I'm applying across Canada, and to a small number in the US. I have about a 3.6 GPA, and very good EC, volunteer, and some research. I'm debating about what to do... whether to wait to apply to Ontario schools next year or not. I'm definitely applying across Canada, so we'll see what happens there.

• 3 weeks later...
12 PS, 13 BS, 9 V, Q WS, for 34Q total. I'm happy but would've liked 10 on verbal. Will try my chances at Ottawa, Toronto, McGill, Dalhousie and UdeM this year.

Good luck to everyone!

Memorial is probably also worth a shot if you are going to apply around the East.

Archived