Premed 101 Forums

!!Sept 6th MCAT!!

butterfly

So who else is writing this saturday?? Im writing in Mississauga @ 8 am!

I am just concerned about my verbal and a bit about physical but HOPEFULLY it will all be okay!

Tomorrow is the last day before the test!!:eek: n I plan to just review some formulas and relax before I enter the battle field. What's everyone else planning/feeling?

Im writing in toronto at 8 a.m. Unfortunately I am not feeling too good about my verbal and a bit about the writing. My sciences has been consistently 12/13s but my verbal has been around 9ish +/-1 ( more often 8 than 10 lol). I just hope those 2-3 questions that I am off from a 10 roll my way on test day lol.

Also my first MCAT...good luck everybody. Writing in Montreal at 8 AM. Wonderful...8 AM. I have been getting up early all week to habituate and cant wait to sleep in ;)

lol its so sad when sleeping in means not waking up at 5/6 am in the morning. Good luck to everyone tomorrow.

Also my first MCAT...good luck everybody. Writing in Montreal at 8 AM. Wonderful...8 AM. I have been getting up early all week to habituate and cant wait to sleep in ;)

I'm also writing in Montreal. Where abouts BendBiker?

Thank god that Hurricane Gustav problem didn't affect us...that woulda sucked

Anyways, good luck to all!

I agree with you. BS had way too many experiments for my liking. After the test, I realized that I made two changes to my orgo questions that were wrong. Absolutely gutted that I threw two marks away. Also, does anyone remember a passage about bacteriophages? I don't seem to remember that one.

PS: Not too bad, a decent amount of calculation. Passages on combustion machine, light and energy, truck pendulum device, cant remember the others....

VR: In general the passages were easy to read and answer. Tough passage on Transcendentalism. Other passages on siblings and social skills, conventions in art, potato blight, doppler shift and galaxies,... cant remember the others

WR: One about research and financial profits and another about flaws and national leaders....

BS: More difficult that I expected....topics included: Crohns disease, ALS and mice, HIV and immune system, athletes and lactic acid metabolism, acetoacetic acid organic passage, two types of dyes (2nd ochem passage), the last one escapes me.......(EDIT: viral delivery of therapeutic agents)

Overall, this particular MCAT wasn't too bad, but I still don't feel great about it either...

PS:

VR: In general the passages were easy to read and answer. Tough passage on Transcendentalism. Other passages on siblings and social skills, conventions in art, potato blight, doppler shift and galaxies,... cant remember the others

I don't remember the one about sibling and social skills. I had one about egyptian towns, berries and birds and censorship in movies, in addition to the ones you mentioned. Maybe there were different versions of the test?

I thought the VR was a bit tough. Transcendentalism passage was full of jargon and retarded. Hope I did well enough as that is my weakness. I felt the PS was easy and agree the BS was a bit more difficult. As somebody that has a masters and makes recombinant retrovirus for a living, that passage wasn't that bad at all though..... ;)

Ok, here are my comments about the test...I would have posted earlier if it wasn't for the allergic reactions I would get when I heard 'MCAT'. :o

anywho, I thought it was OKAY..... PS was actually not as scary I thought it was going to be, although i think I mis calculated on some of the questions.

VR was better than I thought as well, even though I thought it was going to be my weakest section. I regret not skipping and basically guessing on the second last passage (the one with the jargon). It just wasted my time. :(

WS sample was fun :) I came up with examples pretty easily and I think I wrote more than I usually write (although that doesn't mean I'd get a better mark)

BS was supposed to be my best section, but unfortunately I don't think it was. some passages had very long questions, killed my time too. Oh, and there were 2 passages of orgo, they were not bad, but then I like orgo.

overall, I hope I did well...*fingers crossed*, the test centre was comfortable (no comp probs, computer crashes, uncomfortable ear plugs, annoying ppl...), which was unexpected, but pleasent.

I wish all of u good luck with marks!!!!

PS: Not too bad, a decent amount of calculation. Passages on combustion machine, light and energy, truck pendulum device, cant remember the others....

WR: One about research and financial profits and another about flaws and national leaders....

BS: More difficult that I expected....topics included: Crohns disease, ALS and mice, HIV and immune system, athletes and lactic acid metabolism, acetoacetic acid organic passage, two types of dyes (2nd ochem passage), the last one escapes me.......(EDIT: viral delivery of therapeutic agents)

Overall, this particular MCAT wasn't too bad, but I still don't feel great about it either...

I found that Transcendentalism passage tough to read, let alone answer questions on. But I guess the rest of VR wasn't too, too bad. I'm not a big fan of art-based passages and the one we had (conventions in art) was actually pretty easy to follow.

Everything else was in line with what I was expecting, though I did run out of time on my last PS passage and had to guess on two questions -- think nerves may have played a roll in my poor time management. Also have this fear that I may not have answered all my questions because I didn't get to check my review sheet. Sometimes I accidentally "cross out" an answer when I mean to mark it as my answer. USUALLY I pick up on it, but there was no way to be positive since I didn't get to see my review sheet.

I actually didn't find Bio to be too bad and was very comfortable with the essay topics.

Guess only time will tell how well I actually did.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like we might have to wait at least another day ...

Well, I guess these kind of delays are expected. After all, we do pay a lot of money to write the test and those damn computers tend to be sluggish in marking those multiple choice questions. I wonder if they use MACs or PCs?

Archived