Premed 101 Forums

3.6 or lower?

Guest SherriONT

• 3 weeks later...
Guest badkitty79

I was looking at the Mac website today. They have updated their stats for the Class of 2008. It looks like only 2 ppl with GPAs below 3.6 gained admission. Average GPA of admitted students was 3.88. :(

Guest kaymcee

My goodness... this grade distribution is quite a departure from classes of years' past:

3.00-3.49: 0

3.50-3.59: 2

3.60-3.69: 3

3.70-3.79: 19

3.80-3.89: 47

3.90-4.00: 77

Mean = 3.88.

Watch out, Toronto!

Edited to add emphasis to the 77 people with GPAs north of 3.9.

Guest MDWannabe

This number reflects changes that have been implemented to the admissions process beginning with the class of 2006, which put more emphasis on GPA and less on life experience. Up until the class of 2005 (ie which started in Aug 2002), the average GPA hovered around 3.55. The following 2 years, it was more like 3.75, and now it is reportedly higher than that.

The literature in the past claimed to put 50% weight towards GPA, but this was a bit of a misrepresentation. This is because there was a bigger range in the best to worst for autobiographical submission than there was for GPA. For example, if GPA and ABS were both marked out of 4, the lowest GPAs would get a 3/4, but the lowest ABS could theoretically be a 0/4. In the 2003 application pool, the adcom took into account this difference in ranges to make it a true 50/50 weighting, with the results you see now.

There has been much discussion among the classes about the results that ensue. The adcom has argued that this process has taken some of the subjectivity out of the process. It has also been argued that in an applicant pool >4000, it is possible to find 140 applicants who truly have it all (ie tremendous life experience and great GPAs). Unfortunately, I think it will take a few years to see whether that assertion is true.

Guest treehuggingbiologist

I'm assuming they're saying that because toronto has ridiculously high entrance requirements.

Great. The one school i thought i met the cut of for and they're killing people on GPA's. GAH!!!:(

McMasters adding MCAT! that is unbelievable. They always said the MCAT was not important in their philosophy and now their adding it? How realistic is it to make you write an 8 hour exam just for one section? I think its really wierd, any idea on how they are incorporating it? :rolleyes

thx,

Sam

I believe they are offering some option to write just the verbal section - on the site they have some contact info to write just that. I'm personally more worried about the higher entrance average (see other topic)

But in all honesty, I find the skills in verbal are the most easily applied to the other sections. But thats just me.

Sorry I didn't respond until now, but treehuggingbiologist was correct in his assumption. Toronto is known for having a very high average GPA, so I was making a comparison to that.

The who system is going down the drain.

Mac, in my opinion, is a dissapointement. They state one thing in the admission requirements.. but they should be honest. Just say it out loud. We look for high GPA. Cut the BS about different careers, older applicants.. etc...

Disclosure. This is my opinion. I am definitely not applying to MAC this year. Last year, I just wasted time... and MONEY

Guest MDHopefully2005

Hey all,

I understand why everyone is upset, but though Mac's GPA is high this year I just wanted everyone to know that we still have a wide range of ages and experiences. We have several nurses a pharmacologist, 2 people have their PhD, one student from business and several from math. We have a couple of 19 year olds but also several people over 40. I do agree that they should change their "cutoff" from 3.0 to something more around the range of 3.6, but at the same time you have to think about the number of people applying to Mac. There most likely were a number of amazing people that had GPA's of 3.0-3.4 but there were probably even more with higher GPA's and when you rank everyone together those with lower GPA's unfortunately fall closer to the bottom. If one with a lower GPA did stellar on the MMI then they could definitley pull ahead of those with higher GPA's, but remember with 800 people being interview there are likely to be those with both stellar GPA's and a great MMI. I wouldn't give up hope with Mac yet, I never thought I would be able to get in, but here I am and my GPA was lower than the "average" this year.

I hope you don't give up hope, Mac is a great school and I am enjoying myself a ton so far. Mac gets everyone applying because of the lack of prereq's so it is competitive, but not impossible!

Guest MedSchoolGirl2005

After I looked at the 2008 class breakdown..I too am having doubts about applying with over half the class having a GPA of 3.90 or greater.

But the thing is that you just never know with Mac. I know that there are people who are interviewed with GPAs of 3.60 and lower. It's just that however Mac tends to weigh the overall score to gain admission ends to put too much emphasis on GPA. So if you have a low GPA, spend lots of time on the ABS and if you get an interview, all you can do is prepare so you have the best possible score.

They are interviewing much more people now so there's still a good chance that you can obtain an interview, at the very least.

I suppose getting an interview is a good thing MSG2005, but in all honesty, going in with a low GPA and knowing the deck is stacked against you doens't provide the best morale boost.

That being said, Rocky did it :P

Guest geekpunk

My GPA is a 3.75 and I'm an OOP applicant. Do you think it's worth it to apply? Normally, I would just go ahead and take a chance. But looking at that GPA breakdown, plus the fact that I'm OOP, I'm not sure if I should anymore. My best two years GPA comes out to a 3.91 but I don't think Mac looks at best two years, like Western does. Hmmm... what to do, what to do... just started the Mac questions on OMSAS too. Debating if I should even continue writing them.

Guest MDWannabe

Applying to med school takes an effort, and even under the best of circumstances, involves some luck. If you really want to be a doctor and Mac's program appeals to you, you should apply. There is no doubt that they will consider all marks equally (not just your best 2 years), so your 3.75 is the relevant GPA assuming that number encompasses all you have done. But if all other factors don't hold you back, you should be at least in the running for a spot.

I applied last year with a GPA of 3.68. I got interview wait-listed. I skeptically waited for the phone call but never got it.

I am applying again after finishing my engineering degree and with the same GPA. Now, I think that my chances for getting in are even smaller than they were last year. Still, it's worth a shot despite the enormous applicant pool and the increased emphasis on high GPA's.

Guest hammermill

I've scanned this forum and find it to be ridiculous. The people in Mac's medicine class of 2008 are extremely amazing. I didn't know about my class statistics as so thought that they are all with lower grades as in the past but have great life experiences. I was amazed at how much they have done and how wise each person is. Despite being a very young class. When I found out the GPA were so high, I am even more proud. It seems the people who are putting Mac down, once upon a time had applied but failed. There are way too many people who assume that high GPA people have no personality and don't do jack. Just because we're capable of maintaining a high GPA, it doesn't mean we don't do anything else. There's a balance in life. I'm sure there are many people out there with great life experiences but if they can't maintain a high GPA, I have little doubt they will succeed at Mac. Mac requires a lot of independent learning. If you can't understand materials in undergraduate, how do you expect to be on your own and comprehend the materials in med school at the same rate as everyone else? Mac is a great school. Don't be bitter and trash it.

Be real, a grade of less than 3.3 overall, really do mean you haven't tried hard enough in your undergraduate years. There are many who are try hard for their grades, and the same time do many other things, they deserve it.

Well, I am not at all making any assumptions about people with higher GPA's. Anyone with high grades and good life experience deserves to get in. I am just stating my circumstances and the possible prospects of my application being accepted.

Hammermill...don't take others comments so personally...the issue (I think) that has people so upset is Mac's 'new' emphasis on GPA, while still advertising and welcoming' applications from those with a GPA as low as 3.00.

McMaster needs to be more honest to it's applicants. They are literally stealing applicants money and I think, their dreams as well. If Mac wants to take those with higher GPAs, fine, whatever... (still I think my class '05, minus a few bad apples, was the best) but don't lie to people...

This is the issue. McMaster should not be advertising that you can 'apply' with a 3.00 GPA. It is now clear that almost no one is getting in with less than a 3.5. They need to come clean and be honest to their potential applicants, they need to raise the published minimum GPA.

All other schools are brutally honest with you..."you must have a GPA of X, or MCAT scores of X, Y, Z, etc... to be competitive". McMaster needs to stop taking application fees from those who now clearly don't have a hope of getting in...it is false advertising and simply wrong...director of admissions are you listening???????

...I think that they like the revenue from fees and the 'honor' of having the most applications, if they raised they GPA they would lose thousands and thousands of dollars in fees...perhaps a reason?

Gaining admission at McMaster is now exactly the same (if not more difficult as they take every university course ever taken into account) as every other Ontario university...don't fool yourself.

I don't mean to sound harsh, bitter, etc... I loved my time at Mac and (and would do it all over again if I had to!). I am a proud graduate x3 of McMaster, including my MD, but it's time McMaster medical school stepped up to the plate and started calling 'a spade a spade'. They need to stop giving hope to those applicants who have little to no chance of gaining admission and raise the published minimum GPA to 3.50 at least.

Guest grandmellon

I couldn't agree with your more jmh. McMaster should stop giving people the run around.

It does seem like people are very unlikely to get in with lower GPA's which is unfortunate especially considering the way that Mac weights their CgPA with every single course people have taken. If they are going to keep higher GPAs they should at least be willing to get rid of one or two bad courses that people have which might be bringing down their gpas.

What a challenge this is to get into Mac.

Never imagined I'd be applying for a fourth time! Hopefully somehow my written submission can blow people away... but who knows.

tired and frustrated,

GM

By all means, if someone has high grades and lots of other stuff, accept them. The argument we're raising here is that mac claims to consider applicants with lower GPA's, yet in the grand scheme of things, doesn't. This disparity is whats causing a problem NOT the fact that smart people are getting in.

You really should read the posts more closely. And proof read your own - you contradicted yourself a few times too.

Guest QuestionMan23213

Hey Grandmellon,

I feel your pain.. Im also applying for the third time this year. Im sure my 3.6 cgpa last year didnt put me in a high enough rank post-interview to be offerred a place. But remember there were 5 whole people that had gpa's under 3.7 that were accepted last year so there is still hope!! Anyways, hang in there, and hope for the best. Hopefully youre competitive at a few other places as well.

QM

Archived