Premed 101 Forums

Difficulties with calgary rads elective

Hey guys,

Turns out with the way my elective schedule is set up, I won't be able to do an elective in radiology at calgary even though I really want to. They don't accept students in July and August when my elective time is scheduled. Is there any way I could apply for an exception?? What are my options??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

From your post, I assume you are 1) not a Calgary student, and 2) have been told this from the radiology electives secretary. Are you heading into 3rd year this fall - do you have no elective time left?

Seeing as you evidently have a strong interest in Calgary radiology, I would try explaining the reasons for your interest to the program and ask them if there are any ways you can work around it. My guess for why they don't accept students in the summer is staff shortages.. either that or they might have off-service residents coming through.. you could ask for some sort of compromise (like spending more time with teaching files and less time with staff/residents).

But I think your best bet is to try to visit Calgary in 4th year and do your summer electives at another school. I don't know how important an on-site elective is to Calgary radiology, but in the circumstance you have no luck in 4th year either (if you want the elective, apply the first day they let you!), you can always explain this in your personal statement when the time comes.. getting electives is known to be a difficult task in general.

• 4 months later...

Archived