Premed 101 Forums

My chances..

Alright, here we go:

cGPA: 3.73

pGPA: 3.80

MCAT: 30P

LOR's: I'm expecting: average to slightly better than average.

EC's: Again subjective: but strong and comparable with those accepted.

Applicant Info: 3rd Yr IP, Rural

I would doubt myself for the regular 2/3yr pool, but am thinking I have new life with the over quota rural positions. Also, anybody know if the over quota positions are pre-emptively allocated to 4 and/or 2/3 yr positions? Please give me your thoughts! Thanks for your time.

I doubt you'll get an interview. I didn't after 3rd year with a 3.78cGPA, 3.88pGPA, and 34R MCAT (although I really did a **** job on my EC section). That said, U of A's app isn't that much work (that is, not much writing, although it can be time consuming because they give you so little space) so if you're comfortable with asking your referees I say why not. You'll have to have well above average EC's to get an interview, though. Check the thread titled "application for 2009" for a huge post made by a user who got in after 2nd year--it'll give you some guidance I wish I had last year.

Rural doesn't matter at U of A (as far as I know), only aboriginal status does.

Edit: They have a quota for rural spots to hand out, but I don't know how many there are/how many apply in that position. Perhaps another user could shed some light

I doubt you'll get an interview.

Ouch! Right out of the gate, that's pretty harsh.

There's no reason why you shouldn't apply. People have gotten in before with stats like these (do some searches on previous years' accepted threads). Just because Jamer didn't, doesn't mean that your application might not be well written and score highly on the ec's and leadership areas (and Jamer does mention this as a deficit in his/her application). It isn't a lot of money and, as mentioned, it isn't very complex so go ahead and apply anyway!

And yes, you do have new life with the rural spot. When I spoke with Marlene she said that the rural applicants were assessed in their own pool, just like the 4th years are separated from the 2nd/3rds, and IP and OOP are separated, and aboriginal applicants are separated. Take this with a grain of salt as this was a few years ago, and this doesn't mean that you don't need to meet the minimum criteria, but it should give you hope anyway.

Oh, and if you're not rural according to their standards, then you won't cut it. I grew up in a rural place but only 40 km from a large urban center - most people considered it in the middle of nowhere and my doctor was considered a 'rural' physician where she practiced near my home, although I didn't pass for rural because I wasn't 80+km from a large center. FYI

Ouch! Right out of the gate, that's pretty harsh.

There's no reason why you shouldn't apply. People have gotten in before with stats like these (do some searches on previous years' accepted threads). Just because Jamer didn't, doesn't mean that your application might not be well written and score highly on the ec's and leadership areas (and Jamer does mention this as a deficit in his/her application). It isn't a lot of money and, as mentioned, it isn't very complex so go ahead and apply anyway!

And yes, you do have new life with the rural spot. When I spoke with Marlene she said that the rural applicants were assessed in their own pool, just like the 4th years are separated from the 2nd/3rds, and IP and OOP are separated, and aboriginal applicants are separated. Take this with a grain of salt as this was a few years ago, and this doesn't mean that you don't need to meet the minimum criteria, but it should give you hope anyway.

Oh, and if you're not rural according to their standards, then you won't cut it. I grew up in a rural place but only 40 km from a large urban center - most people considered it in the middle of nowhere and my doctor was considered a 'rural' physician where she practiced near my home, although I didn't pass for rural because I wasn't 80+km from a large center. FYI

I'm not saying not to apply, because you never know, but you need to take into account that the minimum score for 3rd years is 3.7. The OP just makes it over that score. However in your case I would take a shot since you have those IP rural seats (I think in recent times the ratio of seats to students was about 1:2) and a "goodish" MCAT. Besides, the only thing you would lose is a few bucks.

Thanks for the replies people! I predicted Jamer's tone as soon as I saw a response by him on my thread. It's true my GPA and MCAT stats are pretty weak, and Jamer tells it as it is. I have no beef with that; I'm sure he's a good guy in person.

Yes I am very remote and rural (northern AB). Hence my low gpa. It was much lower during my first year (transition to the city). If I apply the next year, my cGPA should jump to 3.94. And of course, I'm rewriting the mcat next year. Rural seats jumped to 8 this cycle, and they get their own pool for the interview calls. When you live around the doctor shortage up there, you know why it's set up that way.

I'm just wondering how they compare a 2/3 yr rural with 4 yr rural? And I'm assuming UCalgary doesn't have these over quota rural spots?

Archived