Premed 101 Forums

What can I do? Any suggestions? comments?

vraev

Hi guys,

As I posted in a couple of earlier threads today...my marks have come back and its just sheer disappointment that I missed the cutoff by one mark. The irony was bio was the section which i thought was easy.

P:10

V:10

B:9

29R

This is my second mcat sitting already. The first one was P:9, V:8, B:10 = 27R

What can I do ?? Do I have to retake the mcat to have even a chance at ontario schools which need the mcat? Does requesting a remark of the bio section help? My bad luck seems to have pooled all at once to give me this hairline result. Just when I thought I can see the light at the end of the AAMC tunnel...I am pushed back in. :(

Right now..I am considering maybe retaking the mcat in january as I seem to have no other choice. :(

thanks,

V

UoT: your score is good to go. they only use MCAT for flagging purposes.

Queens: the cutoffs change from time to time - so you have no idea what will go on here. apply if you can afford the cash

uwo: traditionally they have a strict 30 cutoff....it could go down or it may not.

Summary: I think your score is good for uOT and depending upon the rest of your application (if its decent in terms of research and extra curriculars), there's a good chance you will be invited for an interview. btw..are you a grad student? b/c uofT considers them in a separate pile.

For Queens, if the cutoffs favour you, then you have a shot at the interview. In the past, once you are invited for the interview, they only look at the interview score to determine if you should be accepted or not.

Only re-write it if you think you can do better than the last time. There are cases where people go down. How were your practice scores? did they compare to what you got? If you feel the real deal has not been an accurate representation of your potential then rewrite it.

Hope this somewhat helped and keep your chin up!

hmm.....actually to be honest, this time...I didn't do any full length practice tests...but last summer when I did like 15 or so full length tests, my average in physics was 12-13, bio was 11 and verbal average was 9. For the most part I always had probs with verbal.... and this time when I did a few practice passages, I found all the tips that I realised and learnt came back the moment I started reading a passage. I went through the entire princeton review books for bio and physics 3 times each. :( But well..... I guess it wasn't meant to be. :(

I finished my undergrad earlier this year and now I just started my masters....by the looks of it...I guess I will be finishing my masters as I was waiting for the mcat scores before considering applying.....but due to the late release & unsurity I decided that I skip the omsas application this time. I thought if the mcat was any better, I could try a shot at some good schools in US. I guess I am finishing my masters in medical sciences for now then. :(

I Know that I can do better in bio. I know that I can do better in physics. I just don't know how it turned out to be this bad on the real mcat. These are the lowest physics and bio scores I have gotten.

thanks for your feedback. I guess I can't apply to med school as a 22yr old and need to wait 2 yrs more now. :(

I really feel you there man. It's a tough process and luck plays a strong role. Hang in there and don't stress about the age :) You would probably be still young compared to some of your classmates.

I think, and that's largely my opinion, you should buckle up and give the MCAT another shot in January. The material should be relatively fresh and since you are just starting your masters, workload should be manageable. If it makes you feel any better, I wrote the MCAT for the 4th time....:cool:

VR should improve significantly since - I'm assuming - you would have read copious amounts of journal papers by January.

Good Luck!

Truly thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. It's just sad to see that I will be 2yrs behind my close friends who r alreadybin med school starting this yr. Sorry to hear about your mcat issues as well. It's ironic that I never had to repeat any test in my life, but the mcat seems persistent on eluding me. Well! That's it! I have to try and rip it apart next time. I had enough of these crappy marks. :(

4 years of Kin.... all my friends are on to jobs or grad work.

Now I'm in the 2nd year of a new undergrad degree just to get my GPA to the point this year where I can apply to western and queens.

I know what you mean when you feel like you're getting left behind.... but no matter how strong that feeling.... would you be happy 15 years from now if you decided an extra year or two wasn't worth it and you went another way? I know I wouldn't and therefore am able to tough it out for at least a little while longer.

personally, 5 of my friends are in 1st year meds now and it feels like I got left behind... but then I realize they must have worked that extra bit more than me and deserve to be there, when I still need to keep working hard (and work even harder) and earn my spot, just as they did. It does suck to be thinking to myself I'm getting left behind, and they're going to be so much ahead of me and that I'm wasting years of my life in undergrad/masters but they had everything in order a lot sooner than I did and kudos to them for doing so and it's just up to me to follow suit now.

For all folks who are left behind and sad about it, I just want to say that either you weren't smart enough to get there in the first place or just were extremely unlucky. Pick your best and stop complaining.

I am doing a 2nd undergrad at the moment and I think the decision was mine to go ahead because medicine is what I truly want to do. If that's the case with you folks, then a couple of years won't really turn your ancestors in their graves.

I guess you guys are right. Sigh! It's true that med school tests persistance more than anything else. Thanks for feedback everyone. Afterall we are all in here for the long haul. I guess it's a bit comforting to know that I am not alone. But I guess it's kinda also the fear that med schools see the multiple mcat attempts negatively. But well, gotta work with the circumstances.

Archived