Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa admission for graduate

Hi,

I achieved my formation till a postdoctoral degree. I already applied at Ottawa for medical training in 2000. It is writen that if you already applied, your are not allowed to aplly again. I don't have to tell you that I was not accepted.

The other question that I have is really necessary to give the Cegep scores for Quebec residents? Does the MSc, PhD... Will account significatively? I entered my BSc scores and the score at the bottom does not seem so good, and I can say the more or less, only my first year is not so good (personnal problems).

Thanks for your advise!

AD2008

You have to fill everything out. If you attended CEGEP, then you have to report whatever necessairy information from that schooling. I dont know the particulars of that application because I completed highschool in Ontario.

They will take your BSc, MSc, Phd into account along with the CEGEP and weigh it according to however Ottawa scores them. For your graduate work what's most important is productivity. So published papers, abstracts, presentations (oral and poster), awards, scholarships things like that.

It's great that you're a graduate student, but like poor marks in an undergrad work against you, lack of productivity in a graduate program also works against you.

best of luck.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to answer your first question. If you didn't get accepted you're fully allowed to re-apply. The only time they say they will not consider you again is if you've had 3 INTERVIEWS and still not been accepted. If you have had 3 interviews and been rejected each time it suggests there are serious character flaws the interviewers have noticed that make you unsuitable as a medical doctor.

^ well not really. Most medschools have >A average for their undergrad cutoffs, and as a graduate student you should be studying a topic that you are deeply interested in.

If you're doing a course based graduate project then you should really love the classes and be able to easily maintain an A average. If you're doing a research based project then you have minimal classes (usually 3 for a MSc for example), and if you can't handle 3 lectures over 2 years and maintain an A you most definitely will not handle the course load at medschool.

Yes.. saying you need an A is 'discriminatory,' and sets a high bar. However, we have to remember we're talking about future medical doctors and schools like Ottawa U get >3000 applicants each year.

If you're doing a course based graduate project then you should really love the classes and be able to easily maintain an A average. If you're doing a research based project then you have minimal classes (usually 3 for a MSc for example), and if you can't handle 3 lectures over 2 years and maintain an A you most definitely will not handle the course load at medschool.

Wow, that seems a bit harsh! I for one did not have an A average in grad school, because one prof of mine simply did not give that mark, and when you don't have that many classes, one B+ is enough to offset many other A+'s. I had a very good grad school GPA, in my opinion, with mostly A's and A+'s, but overall it wasn't A (thought it was close). If I may add, I most definitely am handling the course load at medschool!

^ If it's one of those ball buster proffs that's a totally different story. Every university has those.

At U of O an A is 85%, A- is 80%. That's why I say if you can't maintain an A average overall in your graduate work you probably have issues unless ALL your proffs are ball busters.

And I don't think what I said was 'harsh.' Research based graduate programs let you take 2-3 courses over 2-3 years (for an MSc.). Honestly, who can't pull an A out of a course when it's the only class they have in 8 months? If the guy is a ball buster pick a different course, or ask the guy 'what do I have to do to get an A?" I did that a bunch of times in undergrad and usually the proff is more than happy to tell you.

If you're doing a research based project then you have minimal classes (usually 3 for a MSc for example), and if you can't handle 3 lectures over 2 years and maintain an A you most definitely will not handle the course load at medschool.

No. It's a stupid and arbitrary cut-off. The hardest course I ever took (and quite possibly the hardest offered at the university) was required for my grad studies. My grad cGPA was 3.85. That was good enough for me to stand first in my program, but not good enough for Ottawa's cutoff.

omg.. if you have a crap mark because of a particular proff that never gives out A's just apply anyway. I"m sure it will be completely apparent on your transcripts. You think only students are aware of the existance of proffs like that?

Ya.. it's an arbitrary cutoff.. just like the 3.87 for undergrads was an arbitrary cut off set by the faculty of admissions. It's also about as arbitrary as the way they prioritize who requires higher GPAs (ie. Natives, vs francophones, vs anglophones vs military). It's an arbitrary process that establishes the type of classes the U of O wants. By extension of course the cutoffs are going to be 'arbitrary.' Whining about them isn't going to make it any more 'logical.'

God.. sorrrrrry for rationalizing a realistic faculty established cut off. I'll know next time to just type in the standard "SERIOUSLY!!! Those admin are so mean!!! How dare they set high standards for future physicians!!"

omg.. if you have a crap mark because of a particular proff that never gives out A's just apply anyway. I"m sure it will be completely apparent on your transcripts. You think only students are aware of the existance of proffs like that?

Ya.. it's an arbitrary cutoff.. just like the 3.87 for undergrads was an arbitrary cut off set by the faculty of admissions. It's also about as arbitrary as the way they prioritize who requires higher GPAs (ie. Natives, vs francophones, vs anglophones vs military). It's an arbitrary process that establishes the type of classes the U of O wants. By extension of course the cutoffs are going to be 'arbitrary.' Whining about them isn't going to make it any more 'logical.'

God.. sorrrrrry for rationalizing a realistic faculty established cut off. I'll know next time to just type in the standard "SERIOUSLY!!! Those admin are so mean!!! How dare they set high standards for future physicians!!"

You're totally allowed to have (& post) your opinion, no worries.

I think people are simply reacting to your saying that those who do not meet the grad cutoff will not be able to make it once in med school. I personally am not against the cutoff, as I too believe it has to be set somewhere. It's where it is because enough people meet it to fill the few spots that are there. I also think the "arbitrariness" of the cutoff is inevitable.

However, I think that during grad studies, marks are sometimes partly out of one's control. Having only 4 courses for the entire degree means a B+ in one course can make an overall A average simply unattainable. It doesn't mean the person is not smart, trying hard or cut-out for med school. Anyone can get such a mark, and yes there are profs of mandatory classes who will not give a higher mark. The admissions cutoffs are firm though, as far as I know, and no exceptions will be made for such circumstances.

I am proof that not having an A average in gradschool doesn't mean you can't make it. My undergrad GPA did meet the cutoff, and I am doing just fine in med school in spite of my one B+ in grad school. It's just one mark.

Simply put, I think there are not as many spots for med students as there are deserving and capable applicants. Unfortunately, some people who would make great docs will not get in. Not getting in doesn't mean one would not have been able to make it. The process is certainly not pure luck, but luck is involved nonetheless. You just have to hope that out of all the med schools out there, one will be just the right fit for you.

I was always confused by this aspect of U of O's graduate policy. Does anyone know for certain whether the policy means that we must get "A"s in each and every individual grad course that we take (ie. no A-minuses allowed!) or that we must have an "A" average in grad school overall?

I have a 3.94 grad gpa - would they seriously disqualify me because of an A-minus in one course??

Of course, I still have some undergrad prerequisites to take, but that's another story. ;)

I was always confused by this aspect of U of O's graduate policy. Does anyone know for certain whether the policy means that we must get "A"s in each and every individual grad course that we take (ie. no A-minuses allowed!) or that we must have an "A" average in grad school overall?

I have a 3.94 grad gpa - would they seriously disqualify me because of an A-minus in one course??

Of course, I still have some undergrad prerequisites to take, but that's another story. ;)

From what Julie said I don't believe it's a firm cutoff. She was admitted and says she had a B+ in a grad class. You would have to ask her though because if she was admitted based on her undergrad marks, the A cutoff for grad student still could be firm.

I would hope it's not a firm cutoff. Like it was mentioned before there are proffs who just don't award marks higher than A-.

From what Julie said I don't believe it's a firm cutoff. She was admitted and says she had a B+ in a grad class. You would have to ask her though because if she was admitted based on her undergrad marks, the A cutoff for grad student still could be firm.

I would hope it's not a firm cutoff. Like it was mentioned before there are proffs who just don't award marks higher than A-.

Actually as I mentionned I was not admitted under the grad policy. Only my undergrad marks were considered. I thought it was a firm cutoff, but am not sure. Best check with the admin

Archived