Premed 101 Forums

Large centre VS small centre

auscultate

Hi everyone,

I am at a crossroad with regards to the location of residency. I am interested in internal medicine and I would liek to stay in Ontario. But I have heard that in places like Toronto, as good as it is, given its size you often get 'lost' and get sidelined by the number of fellows. In comparison to a place like western or mac which are smaller programs by comparison, you get a broader exposure becaue you deal with a lost of the primary issues rather than sending the patient off to a consult service.

I was wondering if anyone in the Toronto IM residency program or people who have experience with the T.O. system could comment.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the tardy reply - I just noticed there was a follow-up question.

As a disclaimer, I have done IM rotations in London, Mac, Calgary and Toronto. London, Mac and Toronto have all been great experiences.

What has impressed me most about Toronto was the support they have given to residents. The teaching, staff and team members were fabulous on CTU at TWH in Toronto. TWH was also nice because you see the bread-and-butter IM with a smattering of the wild-and-wacky. Other centres in Toronto have a bit more wild-and-wacky and less normal IM, though (ie. TGH). If you are considering IM at Toronto, I definitely recommend a CTU elective at TWH so can get a feel for it yourself. I have also done a respirology rotation and found that it was very well organized, with great teaching. The only drawback was that respirology, at that time, didn't have many admissions unless they were for transplantation work-up where we would just babysit them while they got their test done.

If you have any further questions, just let me know.

Archived