Premed 101 Forums

Just wondering what you'd choose

Guest mk08

Last year a friend of mine got into medicine at Harvard and Washington. She got a full scholarship to go to Washington but nothing from Harvard. She ended up choosing Washington.

Which one would you have chosen?

Last year a friend of mine got into medicine at Harvard and Washington. She got a full scholarship to go to Washington but nothing from Harvard. She ended up choosing Washington.

Which one would you have chosen?

Washington. A 300 000$ debt to go to an Ivy League is not worth it, even if it is Harvard.

the dept wont be such a big deal once she's a doctor..

Actually, 200-300K of debt sitting around and collecting interest (at a higher level than those in Canada) for years of residency IS quite a big deal, particularly if one wants to go into something like family med. Many residents are barely breaking even just keeping up with their interest payments.

What wont be a big deal is the name of the school the MD is from. An applicant from a good school (both qualify) with excellent usmle (and other exam) scores and good references will get into the specialty of their choosing. After that, school of origin is not really relevant, and the doctor will make their own reputation and career.

If its washington U at St. louis, which is like ranked so closely to Harvard, then for sure for sure Wash U @ st. louis.

Sheena, what you said is true for canadian schools, but reputation does matter for US schools. However I will bet my left nut that there isn't one program director that will say "well this one went to harvard, while this one went to Wash @ St. Louis, so we will pick the harvard grad".

Its like someone came up to you and offered you a Joseph Abboud suit for free, or charged you for a Dolce suit at full price. Both suits are amazing, so you ought to go for the cheap one.

If its washington U at St. louis, which is like ranked so closely to Harvard, then for sure for sure Wash U @ st. louis.

Sheena, what you said is true for canadian schools, but reputation does matter for US schools. However I will bet my left nut that there isn't one program director that will say "well this one went to harvard, while this one went to Wash @ St. Louis, so we will pick the harvard grad".

Its like someone came up to you and offered you a Joseph Abboud suit for free, or charged you for a Dolce suit at full price. Both suits are amazing, so you ought to go for the cheap one.

hahah who the facque is joseph abboud!!! hahahahaa

yeah i would go for harvard... you can pay back you 300 000 (or 3 mill in that matter) loan after a few mths with a harvard diploma... (well im talking if you decide to stay in the us after)...

WashU was a smart choice. I recall her really wanting to choose U of T and she probably would've gotten in as I'm sure she was high WL'd but she removed herself from the WL and just went with WUSM.

Graduating from WUSM will certainly give her some points at U of T when applying for residency. For some reason, I suspect that U of T likes having people from Ivy Leagues - I met one applicant who did their undergrad at Yale and I knew that they were going to get accepted at UT med, and they did.

She even got rejected from her home school-UBC.

Then turns around and gets accepted into Alberta and McGill - both VERY tough for OOPs, McGill especially. Weird about the UBC rejection. No interview at UPenn either. Toronto...yea, dunno what happened there but I think she would've gotten in if she waited.

Archived