Premed 101 Forums

Anyone have kids?

Well to steer this thread back on track:

I'm 25 and have a 2 & 1/2 month old healthy baby boy (he's already almost 20 lbs!). I'm in my 3rd year at UVic, and I'm trying to finish my BSc in Microbiology. I don't find it that much harder having a son and being in school full time. My son provides me with all the motivation I need to do well, and I have an amazing, supportive, and beautiful wife. I hear you D-Rock, there are many times when I feel like I should be studying instead of hanging out with my family, but that was a decision I'd made when we found out my wife was pregnant; that family always come first. My wife picks me up from school every day, and we have dinner together and then bathe the little (big) guy and put him to bed. By that time my wife is out for the count as well so I get a few hours in the evening to study. I'm in the midst of midterms, and so far so good. Instead of going out every night and partying like most of the kids in my classes do, I spend every night with my wife and son and love it! I've had my fun and now am so excited to have a family and raise my son! It really is the best feeling in the world.

Thanks for sharing your story! Best of luck to you and your family. :)

I'm 25 and have a 2 & 1/2 month old healthy baby boy (he's already almost 20 lbs!). I'm in my 3rd year at UVic, and I'm trying to finish my BSc in Microbiology. I don't find it that much harder having a son and being in school full time. My son provides me with all the motivation I need to do well, and I have an amazing, supportive, and beautiful wife. I hear you D-Rock, there are many times when I feel like I should be studying instead of hanging out with my family, but that was a decision I'd made when we found out my wife was pregnant; that family always come first. My wife picks me up from school every day, and we have dinner together and then bathe the little (big) guy and put him to bed. By that time my wife is out for the count as well so I get a few hours in the evening to study. I'm in the midst of midterms, and so far so good. Instead of going out every night and partying like most of the kids in my classes do, I spend every night with my wife and son and love it! I've had my fun and now am so excited to have a family and raise my son! It really is the best feeling in the world.

Thanks for sharing your story! Best of luck to you and your family. :)

aaaawww that story really resonated with law as he just can't get this image of himself out of his mind where he's breastfeeding his 2.5-month-old son at 25 :D:eek::P

Since this thread lost a little steam and since these things seem to take a negative bent a lot of the time, I thought I'd chime in that even though it's often frustrating to have kids in medical school, and you'll be tormented with the guilt that you could do better if you didn't need to commit so much time to your kids (and don't lie to yourself--you could), there is a real inherent satisfaction with having your child fall asleep on your shoulder just before you put him/her to sleep for the night; those moments can give you the spirit and heart-warming motivation you need on the tough days where you've been treated like crap, someone just died, and you forgot to read about some stupid nuance of anatomy/physiology/pharmacology that is totally unrelated to your cases but some attending decided to use to beat you down.

How's that for a 150 word non-run-on sentence!

And no, this didn't just happen to me today (except for the falling asleep part), but it can. And it only happens when everything else is going wrong.

That is really inspiring! I hope to get married around age 25 or 26 (so I'll be right in the middle of medical school...I hope) and hopefully have kids after a year or so. Glad to hear things are working out for you! I hope I can come back here in a couple of years and post a similar story :)

Hey everyone, I just wanted to chime in here. Thanks for this thread!! I'm 27, been married for 6 years. I went to uni for a year after high school, then "dropped out" because I had no idea what I wanted to do... fast forward to 2006. I went back to uni when I decided I wanted to be a doc. I'm in the last year of undergrad now and just finished applying to med school. So, I feel like I have a lot in common with the posters on this thread - trying to balance life with school and spouse and family, not meshing with other (younger) students, etc.

Anyway, I'd love to hang out with any of you "fogies" anytime. I think the world could use some older, more mature med students (no offense whatsoever to those of you that are 18 and mature and know what you want in life - I sure didn't).

• 2 months later...

In my experience med school with a child is very doable as long as you have help.

I'm 31 with a three years old daughter and I'm finishing my pre-clinical years. So far everything is going well except for the occasional mommy guilt and tiredness.

My husband works full time but he still does more than his share at home and my parents come to help whenever things get out of control. I also hired a maid during first year, which helped a lot.

I'm not sure I'd have the energy for another child though.

I expect the clinical years and residency will be tougher but at least she'll be a little older.

• 1 month later...

I am in third year med at UBC and have three kids aged 5 months, 2 and 4.

Pre clinical is pretty easy - other than around exam time I spent lots of time my kids. Third year is a different story. The tougher rotations (internal, obs, surg) are hell and I never see my family. When I do I'm grumpy and sleep deprived and need to study anyways so they're not much fun. But you always know there's light at the end of the tunnel as the hard rotations only last a maximum of 8 weeks. But it sure does influence your choice of specialty... Ophthalmology here I come :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived