Premed 101 Forums

Success Stories

The buolt-in bias is completely unfair. The system is rigged against the non-trads! Would not a carefully worded submission to the Ombudsperson at each university having a med school be helpful? In another matter, I recently helped a friend make submissions to the admin, Registrar, senior academics, etc and got absolutely nowhere - bingo, she then went to the Ombudsperson with identical representations and there was an immeidate change of her status - so these people carry weight if you can motivate them to understand and be sympoathetic to your position. Just my 2 cents.

Hey, So you mean that if we get rejected there is an appeal process that invloves the ombudsperson?

I hope there is coz I am sure my SOb story will help!!!

In the case of my friend, the administration made a decsion that not only made no sxense, but it was clearly contrary to law. So, my friend went to the ombudsman, who agreed about the illegality, and immediately "instructed" the administration as to what to do, which include rescinding their prior decision. It was not actually an 'appeal' per se. I am merely suggesting that if there is something clearly unfair happening, the ombudsperson will loo0k at the issue involved and weight in.

This involved refusal to allow the student of partake of medical insiurance program provided by a third party at the university. Each univerrsity requires students to have medical insurance. The administration told the student, OHIP will cover you. OHIP only covers a "permanent resident of Ontario". Encouraging the Canadian student, a permanent resident of another country, to apply for OHIP was effectively telling trhe student "commit fraud!". The student quoted to the ombudsman the law and regulation applicable iunder OHIP and immeidately the administration was told to stop what they were doing and to ensure that the student was able to take out the medical insurance cover. Then, another battle ensued with the medical insurer who also did not understand the law. They too assumed that a Canadian student automatically in entitled to OHIP cover. This is true if the student is willing to commit fraud. So, this was a special case. However, every case is a special case. Every level of administration could not understand what was right in front of their nose. This includes medical services, Dean's Office, several levels of the administration. It took the ombudsman no time to understand and do something. The key is to figure a way to make your representations considered in a manner where changes can happen.

In other words, go for it, make a compelling argument, be persistent and somebody will listen. If you can make a compelling argument that the deck is stacked against you b/c of ........., then make your best case! I suggested to my friend, which got their attention, that should she have a medical accident requiring a million dollars in medical care or more - as the university refused to allow her to take out medical insurance meant for non-residents of Canada, and b/c the non-resident was not prepared to commit fraud by trying to sneak illegally under OHIP cover, the university and these admin people would be held personally responsible for payment of all medical expenses and related damages!!

The issue with my friend was not getting in - she got in (this was UG). The university refused to allow her to pay for and take out their medical insurance. The refusal was both stupid and contrary to the bery rules of the university that all overseas students must have medical insurance. They assumed that students having a permanent residence other than Canada had to be non-nationals; and they wrongly assumed that Canadians living overseas were entitled to OHIP. I saw through the fallacy of their argument (all with many degrees, b ut that is not necessarily a sign of intelligence).

It would seem to me that youo would need to start a process before decision time - but you would naturally fear doing this as you might consider youo would become 'marked' as a target against the system. I can understand this. I am a fighter and will not simply let injustice take place under my watch. I find that most solutions to apparently insoluable problems cannot be found 'in the box', so I procoeed with life noty thinking outside the box, rather creratively without bounds (on the basis that there is no box).

this is what we should against ottawa's unfair retractment of the grad review. No warning, sudden, and detrimental to many grad students out there. Obviously, I'm biased because I am affected by this...but I really do think that it is extremely wrong to do such a thing.

Does anyone else agree?

anyone know a good lawyer?

the problem is though, that let's say I took charge and did decide to take action...sooner or later, my name would get out there and I might possibly become a person that med schools do not really want to get involved with, thwarting my chances at any school, let alone ottawa.

Change occurs when the courageous few take a risk and put themselves out there. I understand. But this is the very attitude, and I am not blaming you, that puts us in the vulnerable situation in which you find yourself. There is no collective action and we each need to protect our own best interests. However, in so doing are we really protecting our own best interests or just allowing those to walk over us. As you see from my signature below, I am not prepared to let those who want to, walk over us. We all have to pay some price in life and we have a choice wen to take a stand and where to draw a line in the sand.

A good lawyer is a whole other topic. Suffice to say, they are rare.

Um hi. Sorry to everyone for derailing this thread for just a moment but what.. the.. hell...... is with your sig, f_d? Is this crap really allowed?

If you're going to maliciously attack me when you know I've been away for more than 2 weeks then really I think most ppl can agree that you're the spineless "mad attack dog" here.

"Little" maggot? Is that suppose to be a penis joke or something? Ha.. ha..?

Inept academic dimwit..? If i am such, then i wonder what that makes you since this "dimwit" publicly crushed you in every debate we've ever had.

Catching hotties? Could you possibly be referencing the joke I made about harassing a cute nurse? Or are you just pretending to be an idiot?

When did I ever even talk about your dad let alone call him a scumbag. I'm pretty sure you have your stories mixed up because as I recall it was you who told someone else here on the forums that their dad was a scumbag because they were in the scumbag profession of being a lawyer and that they didn't raise them right. Funny how your mind works, because of my 2 week absence suddenly in your twisted mind I'm taking the rap for the crap you said.

When did I attack someone's sexuality here?

...And I really don't know why you would even bring up my parents or gf and I wish that you would leave them out.

You really are petty and immature.

edit:

ps Although I'm sureee you'll never see this post since I'm on your selectively imaginary blocklist (so mature btw), I'm just wondering, does adding a link to a charity under all that hate really give you any sense of balance? Spiritually cleansing? Your ying and yang? So you can say whatever contrived bull **** you can think of and just balance that with a charity link? Really?

I get it, you have this obsessive need to be liked or at least appear to be liked, so you'll kiss and suck up to whoever. You'll even help some ppl with their WS which clearlyyy has no benefit to you what so ever. But you're also a very hateful and immature person and I wish you'd just grow up. I don't care for it anymore.

That spineless mean creep, mad attack dog, despicable lowlife, inadequate 'little' maggot, inept academic dimwit Rayven attacked the sexuality of a poster defending me, dreams of catching hotties and posted that my father is a dirtbag, a scumbag (you repulsive, nasty coward). Vicious and pathetic, eh! His poor parents and gf! What is this loser wanna be? Periplaneta americana? Thank you..

Um hi. Sorry to everyone for derailing this thread for just a moment but what.. the.. hell...... is with your sig, f_d? Is this crap really allowed?

If you're going to maliciously attack me when you know I've been away for more than 2 weeks then really I think most ppl can agree that you're the spineless "mad attack dog" here.

"Little" maggot? Is that suppose to be a penis joke or something? Ha.. ha..?

Inept academic dimwit..? If i am such, then i wonder what that makes you since this "dimwit" publicly crushed you in every debate we've ever had.

Catching hotties? Could you possibly be referencing the joke I made about harassing a cute nurse? Or are you just pretending to be an idiot?

When did I ever even talk about your dad let alone call him a scumbag. I'm pretty sure you have your stories mixed up because as I recall it was you who told someone else here on the forums that their dad was a scumbag because they were in the scumbag profession of being a lawyer and that they didn't raise them right. Funny how your mind works, because of my 2 week absence suddenly in your twisted mind I'm taking the rap for the crap you said.

When did I attack someone's sexuality here?

...And I really don't know why you would even bring up my parents or gf and I wish that you would leave them out.

You really are petty and immature.

edit:

ps Although I'm sureee you'll never see this post since I'm on your selectively imaginary blocklist (so mature btw), I'm just wondering, does adding a link to a charity under all that hate really give you any sense of balance? Spiritually cleansing? Your ying and yang? So you can say whatever contrived bull **** you can think of and just balance that with a charity link? Really?

I get it, you have this obsessive need to be liked or at least appear to be liked, so you'll kiss and suck up to whoever. You'll even help some ppl with their WS which clearlyyy has no benefit to you what so ever. But you're also a very hateful and immature person and I wish you'd just grow up. I don't care for it anymore.

pwnt. That sig has raised my eyebrow a few times already, and she's been called out at least once before your post.

Perhaps we could have a designated thread for arguing to take place.

We could even make a new thread for each set of enemies in the form of a poll and people can vote on who they agree with.

This way. arguments will stop spilling over into every other thread on these boards taking away from their actual usefulness.

Futuredoc has a signature that attacks Rayven for every post she makes.

Rayven decides to launch a counterattack in the "success stories" thread for Non-Traditional applicants potentially the least suitable thread for such a feud.

Futuredoc and Rayven have a genuine dislike for one another that is escalating exponentially and provides constant "one-up-manship." I do not intend this post to pass judgment towards either of you, or even against your whole feud in general. Instead, I suggest that we attempt to contain such an epic on-line battle.

This may lead to a future where a new ambitious premed can come to these forums and not think that every other premed is a gunning lunatic.

As I have said above, I respect your right to hate each other. This is just an idea that came to me after reading plenty of your posts to one another along with other posters' battles in the past. Perhaps we could name your new dedicated thread: Futuredoc vs. Rayven - Airing of Grievances.

Seinfeld anyone?

Despite my non-serious nature, I truly believe this could actually work.

Hi guys,

Honestly - I do understand that you two hate each other. Nobody can tell you who to like and who not to like. Sometimes, you'll meet people you just do not get along with. That's fine. Unfortantely, I (along with many others) find it uncomfortable and inappropriate that the rest of the forum has to be drawn into this fight. I urge both of you to take the higher route and spare the rest of the forum from your fighting. It's a personal matter. Please keep it that way.

I know a lot of people feel the same as I do about future doc's sig and believe it's really inappropriate for this forum. It doesn't fulfill the spirit of the forum. We're supposed to be helping each other, not reminded of the fight you have with another person everytime you post. Again - it's fine, you don't have to like Rayven (and Rayven does not have to like you) - but I hope you can respect the other forum members when we say it's making us uncomfortable. I hope that you will remove it for our sakes.

Similarly, I'd like to ask both Rayven and future_doc to refrain from flaming each other on the forums. I mean, this thread has been entirely derailed now in a pretty nasty way. This is not the first time that this has happened. There really is no need for this behaviour on the forums. It's not at all helpful to any of us.

I hope I don't offend either of you with my post. I really don't mean to. I like both of you. Rayven's a pretty fiesty debater, who's tough to argue against (my favourite kind of debating opponent :P) and future_doc's a quirky, good spirited person. I'm only posting this with the hope that both of you, who I know are rational people, will at least consider these ideas. Just avoid replying to each other and ignore each other. Avoid openly flaming each other. That's all we ask.

Hopefully sanity prevails here,

Law

Festivus!! I would pay good money to see the feat of strength between future_doc and rayven!

Perhaps we could have a designated thread for arguing to take place.

We could even make a new thread for each set of enemies in the form of a poll and people can vote on who they agree with.

This way. arguments will stop spilling over into every other thread on these boards taking away from their actual usefulness.

Futuredoc has a signature that attacks Rayven for every post she makes.

Rayven decides to launch a counterattack in the "success stories" thread for Non-Traditional applicants potentially the least suitable thread for such a feud.

Futuredoc and Rayven have a genuine dislike for one another that is escalating exponentially and provides constant "one-up-manship." I do not intend this post to pass judgment towards either of you, or even against your whole feud in general. Instead, I suggest that we attempt to contain such an epic on-line battle.

This may lead to a future where a new ambitious premed can come to these forums and not think that every other premed is a gunning lunatic.

As I have said above, I respect your right to hate each other. This is just an idea that came to me after reading plenty of your posts to one another along with other posters' battles in the past. Perhaps we could name your new dedicated thread: Futuredoc vs. Rayven - Airing of Grievances.

Seinfeld anyone?

Despite my non-serious nature, I truly believe this could actually work.

Hello all devoted dream chasers!

I am curious to hear any success stories of the long journeys for those who have been striving to catch their dream and have finally been able to achieve their quest.

To add structure to the replies I have added some specific questions but please do not feel restrained by these guidelines! Therefore please indulge and elaborate us with your experiences so we may learn and keep ourselves motivated!

a) What was your initial plan and how did you alter it to achieve your entry into medicine.

B) How long did it take specifically taking into account the investment.(ie worked for X number of years, re-entered university for x number of years)

c) What obstacles did you face in the long journey?

d) advice you could give to another person who has a long journey ahead of them. More in detail perhaps one thing you wish you could have changed or improved in your own journey. Perhaps a mistake or an alternative path you may have chosen

f) Finally.... Was it worth it all in the end?

:) (XrayChump)

Archived