Premed 101 Forums

08/09 Applicants

Given how these threads have gone for the other schools I apologize if all this does is cause panic and speculation

However,

I've been told that Schulich received 2300 applications this year and is unsure as to why there are more applicants.

So take that for what it is... maybe the fact that they did the whole 9,10,11 business last year and Queens 9,9,9 R have convinced people that the MCAT cut-offs aren't as static as once believed.

Whatever it is... I suppose an anxious wait to January is the only thing to do now.

Best of luck everyone.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is good news, really it is.

It is the double cohort in effect - we had around 2,200 applicants the year before due to the double cohort.

Funny though, Queen's AND UWO had similar increasese in the number of applicants two years ago. This extra 700 people now is surely due to no essays + unpredictable cutoffs. I suspect the cutoffs will only slightly fluctuate.

E-mailed the office.....

Received a reply from Ms. Kennard.

Interesting! I really wouldn't be worried about it too much, though - as someone already mentioned they received ~2300 applications for 2007 entry and the cutoffs were 10/10/10 Q and 3.7. I wouldn't expect anything more drastic than last year's 9/10/11 switch. :eek:

Interesting! I really wouldn't be worried about it too much, though - as someone already mentioned they received ~2300 applications for 2007 entry and the cutoffs were 10/10/10 Q and 3.7. I wouldn't expect anything more drastic than last year's 9/10/11 switch. :eek:

Lol yah that was me trying to find the best light of the news.....

I hope it goes to something like 10,10,10 R or 10,10,10 and 32 overall....

That 11 in bio business is no good for me with a (12,10,10 S)!

What a process eh? 3 years ago when I really decided that I wanted to accomplish this and started reading up on cut-offs and requirements if you told me I'd have a 3.89 and 12,10,10 S.... and not be more or less assured an interview at Western I would have been skeptical....

Oh well... live, learn and grow.

Lol yah that was me trying to find the best light of the news.....

I hope it goes to something like 10,10,10 R or 10,10,10 and 32 overall....

That 11 in bio business is no good for me with a (12,10,10 S)!

What a process eh? 3 years ago when I really decided that I wanted to accomplish this and started reading up on cut-offs and requirements if you told me I'd have a 3.89 and 12,10,10 S.... and not be more or less assured an interview at Western I would have been skeptical....

Oh well... live, learn and grow.

What section is your 12 in? Mine is in PS, so last year sucked for me, with NINE in PS, but 11 in BS.

it's interesting that last year's lower cutoffs resulted in a change in the mcat. since a 9,10,11 is numerically equivalent to a 10,10,10 maybe the problem is just that the applicant pool is becoming too homogeneous, forcing the cutoffs to change and be different just for the sake of being able to select 500 or so individuals for an interview. Increased numbers therefore doesn't mean increased mcat scores, it matters more what the scores of the applicants are than the number of applicants in total. ie. if you had a total of 7000 applicants, with 6550 of whom had mcat scores that were lower than last year's cutoff, there would be no change in the cutoff. but if you had 1000 applicants with scores at or above last year's cutoff, there would necessarily be a new cutoff.

Tell me about it. The whole process can seem a bit random at times (okay, often). I really hope for your sake that the numbers go back to a 10-10-10 level. :) I guess it all depends on the applicant pool and the whim of the admissions folks - they'll choose one of many cutoff combinations that give them the number of interviews they want and whammo, that's what we get.

Tell me about it. The whole process can seem a bit random at times (okay, often). I really hope for your sake that the numbers go back to a 10-10-10 level. :) I guess it all depends on the applicant pool and the whim of the admissions folks - they'll choose one of many cutoff combinations that give them the number of interviews they want and whammo, that's what we get.

Lol I like your thinking.... fingers crossed

UT does not have the right idea. People like me who didn't do that well first year or second year (3.6 and 3.67) have little chance since GPA is emphasized so much. The Canadian schools are so different and that's what makes them good - different people are competitive at different places.

UT does not have the right idea. People like me who didn't do that well first year or second year (3.6 and 3.67) have little chance since GPA is emphasized so much. The Canadian schools are so different and that's what makes them good - different people are competitive at different places.

Completely agreed....

For Western to Mac and every school in between my GPA is anywhere from a 3.3 to a 3.89..... and even though I don't think what I did at 19 grades wise has nearly any bearing on how well I would do in medical school 5 years later I appreciate that Western and Queens and Ottawa will let me get rid of my first two years now that I have better more recent ones.

The multiple criteria allow most people a shot at least one or two schools which is nice.

The Canadian schools are so different and that's what makes them good - different people are competitive at different places.

Sorry, but having different standards does not make a school good. As a matter of fact, it makes schools less good. It is exactly why concepts such as affirmative action and the thing they are trying in the north are not pareto-optimal. We know what makes a good doctor and believe me, it is not what color his/her skin sparkles in the Sun or how close one really is with polar bears.

Sorry, but having different standards does not make a school good. As a matter of fact, it makes schools less good. It is exactly why concepts such as affirmative action and the thing they are trying in the north are not pareto-optimal. We know what makes a good doctor and believe me, it is not what color his/her skin sparkles in the Sun or how close one really is with polar bears.

We don't know, we have an idea. Every medical school has still turned out it's fair share of blunders.

The schools also don't have the resources to develop a system that would come close to being perfect as there are so many different factors that may contribute to someone being a good doctor.

Luckily for us, the diversity among the different schools when viewed cumulatively add up to a more inclusive system.

Did you blow it year one and/or two but have demonstrated later on that you are quite academically competent.... go write the MCAT and do well and apply to Western and Queens.

Under-perform in standardized tests but are good with grades? Take a run at Mac or Ottawa.

Good at everything, with the odd crappy mark, apply to Toronto....

Everyone wants 5 interviews, but if you're a good candidate, get one or two and prepare well, and get an acceptance. If you want a predictable cookie cutter approach to getting interviews go to the U.S. Then compete for residency based on the prestige of your school.

There will be good potential doctors that don't get a single interview in Ontario due to various reasons. Ultimately it comes down to a bunch of keeners which is us, and a lack of spots. Nothing is going to be fair, but I appreciate that I at least will have a shot in Ontario despite a brutal first and second year even though I have demonstrated quite handily since those years that I can excel in academics.

Yeah, I agree that describing people by numbers is no way to go. However, instead of saying "OOh you shoulda seen a hot 36-14-24 that came by yesterday", we speak the slang "MMM,mmm, mmm...he had a well balanced package, with 11s across, studded with an S, and a 3.9 magnum". :D

Archived