Premed 101 Forums

Yet Another Internal Medicine Thread (UofT and UofA)

aida10

Hi all,

Stressfully in the midst of CaRMS at the moment :(

Anyhow, was wondering if anyone out there knows how likely it is to get into UofT and UofA internal without having done electives there? Now that we in Vancouver have mandatory diversification of electives I've reached the maximum for internal medicine electives so I haven't been able to fit in many OOP.

Thanks in advance!

-a

Are you able to visit Edmonton/Toronto on a related, non-IM elective? Can you make contact with the people there outside of an IM elective? If you've already reached your limit for electives, then I would focus on strengthening your application as much as possible. I know it's stressful, but you'll only know for sure when interview invites go out. Prepare well for your interviews and good luck :)

• 4 weeks later...

From what I heard, in the past, unless you are a very strong applicant, you do need to have elective to have a good chance at matching at U of A and U of T, which are probably the top 2 most popular internal med programs in the country.

You should be fine with UBC, given they couldn't even fill the program in the first round in last year's match.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm very interesting! However, would they tell you if they're unhappy? I feel like it's sort of like trying to find a supervisor for summer research or graduate studies. Unless you know the people in the lab personally, few people would risk bad-mouthing their higher-ups in the event that it'll get back to them.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Back to the original question. I did receive an interview at U of T for the IM program and thought it went very well. At first this program was not on the top of my list, but after the interview session, I would like to go to this program and am wondering what my chances are if I didn't do an elective at this school. The problem I am faced with is that if I rank U of T first as I would like to do, I might not get my second choice either which would be UBC. Any advise???

Archived