Premed 101 Forums

UNBSJ med, views and opinions?

As a New Brunswick student i would like to know how the pre-med society feels about the move from dal to unbsj. Opinions, pro's con's its all welcome in this thread.

I for one feel somewhat cheated. Dalhousie was one of my top picks for medical school however, now i would have to study in SJ and i would hate to have to reside in SJ. The city just doesn't seem appealing to me. Also i don't know how committed the province really is at making this a successful and smooth process. I would rather not be in the program the first few years as it starts up.

Just wanted to start up the conversation. Let me know what you think.

I'm not sure whether all NB students will end up in Saint John come 2010 - I don't think it's actually been decided yet (I know it sounds definite on the website FAQ... don't take my word on that, though!). The topic has come up in our class from time to time, as it certainly won't be the same (not that we'll notice much, given that Med IIIs seldom if ever see Med Is).

Anyway, I know there's lots of work going on to prepare, along with the corresponding funding commitments. So that needn't be a worry. Ideally, the expansion could come entirely in Halifax, but the facilities are already stretched with 101 of us this year.

Yea i would love for the expansion to all take place in Halifax. If i am to stay on the eastern side of Canada that would probably be the place. So your saying that there is speculation that come 2010 there might be some sort of split like 15/15 for example or something? That would be good news because like you said on the dal website that question is up literally word for word and it says that all NB applicants will only be considered for the SJ program.

It does state pretty explicitly that new brunswickers would only be able to attend the sj campus. Unfortunately, it seems this would mean that you guys would have no chance at all to attend medical school in halifax.

I'm not saying the halifax program will necessarily be better, but I think there certainly will be people with personal preferences that should be allowed to at least compete for what used to be theirs.

Of course, I'm more concerned with who the extra 20 spots on the halifax side go to...in-province anyone??

Actually, scratch that. I just read on and it appears as if there won't be any addition in seats to the Halifax campus at all, at least initially. If I'm reading correctly they're saying that they will only admit 80 to the halifax campus (as opposed to the 101 admitted now, which I've heard is overcrowded), and they eventually hope to get this number back up to 90.

So for now, in-province chances != higher.

It's not overcrowded really, but any further increase (as this proposal entails) probably wouldn't work. Anyway, this is just what I've heard - it is possible too that students in the NB program might begin in Halifax and then move to Saint John (also something I've heard). But please take all this with many fine grains of salt.

Edit: So, you can disregard my earlier comments - NB students will go to the Saint John campus rather than Halifax. That, anyway, is the current plan - there's definitely some concern for how this will change life for Dal students among the current students.

A fellow medic that I work with stated that it really was not going to add anymore seats for Hali or Saint John. Basically all NBers will go to SJ and the rest to Hali. Both my co - workers parents are doctors in NB and thats where he got his info from. It seems to be pretty reliable info but don't quote me. If I am fortunate enough to get in I would rather go to Hali, even though I live and work in Saint John. I did my undergrad at Dal, I love the school and the med school has such a good rep.

The website FAQ section almost agrees. Essentially the program will ship the 20 NB students off to the SJ campus (while adding 10 new NB spots), and reduce the number of students here in Hali accordingly. However they state that the goal would be to eventually reestablish 90 seats in halifax, such that the total admission would increase by 10 more, to 120. This would be a total increase of about 20 spots.

No time line is given for this though, so who knows when applicants, other than the new burnswickers, would see benefits of increased admissions? Of course, this program is great for the people of new brunswick, and the government did just add 10 new spots for NS residents, but my selfish side can't help but hope for more! I think it is strange, and unfortunate, that a campus that currently supports 101 students is going to have a sudden drop to 80 students (as per the FAQ answers).

Also, this q&a might be of interest to you:

"Q: Will all New Brunswick students applying to Dalhousie’s MD program be obliged to take the program in New Brunswick?

Yes."

I also received the email, but I was under the impression that they ended up adding them all last year? I think this is reflected in the FAQ's when they say that the ns acceptances will rise to 65 in the short term- this year there were 62 applicants accepted from ns (rounds up to 65!).

Archived