Premed 101 Forums

Research in the Summer?

ydogyy1

Hello, I am currently a 2nd year Sci student at UBC. I am really wanting to get involved in research in the upcoming, such as SSRP, NRC, BC Cancer Summer studentship, NSERC...etc.

I know that many of these programs are quite competitive. My question is, what should I do to maximize my chances for these positions? In terms of grades, I am expecting about a 85 average after this term (1st year 80, 2nd year 90).

Oh also I have been trying to volunteer in labs and find work/study positions ... but not much luck. Does anyone know if more work/study positions will be available starting in Jan?

When I did my summer NSERC research thing in undergrad, selection was apparently strickly grade-based. I think they've tried to change this a bit by requiring essays (at least at my institution). If you have to write something for your application, just make sure it's compelling and you should be golden.

Also, I've found that there are lots of professors who will let you volunteer in their labs, if you have the right attitude and are bold enough to approach them. So keep asking, keep looking, and something will come up. Being somewhat flexible in what area you'd like to be involved with research-wise will also make the process easier. (But not too flexible, or it might look like you're just resume-padding rather than actually wanting the research experience!)

know what you're looking for. what do you think a summer research student does? how about a volunteer or work study position? (hint - having done both, these are vastly different experiences)

what are you hoping to get out of your summer?

if it's a summer studentship you want, you best get started on your applications for funding. another hint here - you can always drop the funding if you so desire. you might tick off your supervisor though.

Archived