Premed 101 Forums

Useful textbooks from undergrad?

I think some can be usefull. In our french class we had a Marieb anatomy/physiology book that I used sometimes, especially during the first few months of first year (but also a few times after that). Some people in my class told me they still use their medical physiology textbooks (I've never had one in undergrad). Also, I've talked to some undergrads who use Clinical Microbiology made ridiculously simple, wich I totally loved during our infections block. I guess it depends on you and on the books... Maybe keep your favorites?

I want to know where you guys are selling your books where you're actually getting a decent amount for them. I've been keeping all my math/science books because the material doesn't change too much and I'd hate to sell a $150 book for $60-$80, if that.

Recently I've gotten smarter about book shopping and scored a biochem book for $1.25 last week at a thrift shop. It was only one edition older then what the prof recommended. It wouldn't hurt me to sell that one for $60.

I will say that your anatomy text books CAN be useful. But I agree with everyone else. The only book you really want when you are here is Toronto Notes.

I disagree.

The Toronto Notes are only useful after you've already learned material from more detailed sources; its really just a memory aid. Otherwise, its just like memorizing the phone book.

I would have to argue against using the Toronto Notes as your primary source. Don't even buy the TO Notes until your final year of medical school.

I would have to suggest the following books as essential for medical school:

1. Robbin's Pathology - get this!

2. an anatomy atlas like Netter's or Grant's or Gray's, along with a supplementary textbook(though I've not found one I've particularly enjoyed)

3. Talley & OConnor Guide to Physical Examination - FAR BETTER than crappy Bates

4. Lippincott Biochem

5. Lippincott Pharm

6. Lippincott Microbiology(though I've heard great things about Med Micro Made Ridiculously Simple)

7. BRS Physiology by Costanzo - the other proper texts go into way too much detail.

8. Lily's Cardiovascular Disease

9. BRS Neuroanatomy

10. while you're at it, try to snag a copy of the Goljan audio lectures and his book, Rapid Review of Pathology. They're both great!

Yeah, sell your books. Though be warned, you may not get much for them if they're really old.

I disagree.

The Toronto Notes are only useful after you've already learned material from more detailed sources; its really just a memory aid. Otherwise, its just like memorizing the phone book.

I would have to argue against using the Toronto Notes as your primary source. Don't even buy the TO Notes until your final year of medical school.

I would have to suggest the following books as essential for medical school:

1. Robbin's Pathology - get this!

2. an anatomy atlas like Netter's or Grant's or Gray's, along with a supplementary textbook(though I've not found one I've particularly enjoyed)

3. Talley & OConnor Guide to Physical Examination - FAR BETTER than crappy Bates

4. Lippincott Biochem

5. Lippincott Pharm

6. Lippincott Microbiology(though I've heard great things about Med Micro Made Ridiculously Simple)

7. BRS Physiology by Costanzo - the other proper texts go into way too much detail.

8. Lily's Cardiovascular Disease

9. BRS Neuroanatomy

10. while you're at it, try to snag a copy of the Goljan audio lectures and his book, Rapid Review of Pathology. They're both great!

And this is why you have to wait until you get to a particular school to make any decisions.

1. Robbin's Pathology - I agree this one is great, but I don't think you need it. I am pretty sure 95% of my class has used it at most twice. Now I am in the minority, and will vouch for the fact that if you get it and use it, it is a good book.

-here, a supplementary text isn't much value. Pairing Netters with the notes is all you need.

3. Talley & OConnor Guide to Physical Examination - FAR BETTER than crappy Bates - here, they give you a manual, it is all you need. After that, I like the one Toronto puts out, I can't remember it's name.

4. Lippincott Biochem

5. Lippincott Pharm

-to the above four, I don't think ANYONE in my classes bought a book geared to these subjects. Our notes were more than sufficient.

8. Lily's Cardiovascular Disease - k, I'll agree with this one. Although I am not sure you need it, it is a great book. This is one of those, even if you don't NEED it, it is still worth the read, as it is an excellent text.

9. BRS Neuroanatomy - I have no opinion on Neuro Anatomy. I loved the text we used "Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases by Hal Blumenfeld", but I am not sure it was that useful in passing classes. Once again, all you needed were notes.

10. while you're at it, try to snag a copy of the Goljan audio lectures and his book, Rapid Review of Pathology. They're both great! - I too have his audio lectures at least, and will agree, he does do a good job of explaining things.

So all of this goes back to my original point. At least here at Queen's, the only book I would say you need to get is TO notes. There are great text books out there, and they may be of use, but until you see how your school does things, and get a feel for whether the notes that you get are sufficient, all you want is a good anatomy atlas and a quick reference for studying.

And I disagree with what you say about TO notes and waiting until last year. If you are reasonably prepared for exams, it is a good review of pertinent points. It is a good way of eliminating the "fluff" that so many lecturers introduce into a subject and nails home the points. Do you need some background in order to understand it, yes. But for exams and what not, you need a background for studying anyways.

O, and if you are making a list, it is hard to ignore:

Rapid Interpretation of EKG's by Dubin

say what you will, but it is still the easiest way to learn how to read ECGs.

And I disagree with what you say about TO notes and waiting until last year. If you are reasonably prepared for exams, it is a good review of pertinent points. It is a good way of eliminating the "fluff" that so many lecturers introduce into a subject and nails home the points. Do you need some background in order to understand it, yes. But for exams and what not, you need a background for studying anyways.

Agree. My copy of Toronto Notes is filled with hand-written points, clarifications, explanations that have come up in my preclinical and clinical years. I think you'd do yourself a disservice by waiting to buy it until the MCCQE is on the horizon.

pb

http://www.uoftbookstore.com/online/merchant.ihtml?pid=1248129&step=4

Basically it is condensed notes put out by the Toronto medical school every year that is intended for study for LMCC part 1. Here at Queen's, every year out student government organizes a class buy of it. The notes cover almost everything that you are required to know for medical school (hence its use for LMCC prep.) It is a fairly big book, but they perforate the pages so that you can take sections out and put them in binders for specific rotations. It is a book that very few Canadian Medical Students don't own by the end of medical school.

http://www.uoftbookstore.com/online/merchant.ihtml?pid=1248129&step=4

Basically it is condensed notes put out by the Toronto medical school every year that is intended for study for LMCC part 1. Here at Queen's, every year out student government organizes a class buy of it. The notes cover almost everything that you are required to know for medical school (hence its use for LMCC prep.) It is a fairly big book, but they perforate the pages so that you can take sections out and put them in binders for specific rotations. It is a book that very few Canadian Medical Students don't own by the end of medical school.

Sweet, thanks. I'm looking forward to owning a copy, because it means they accepted me! ;)

• 1 month later...
I hear, just a rumour now, no first hand knowledge of course ;), that pretty much all of those books can be found online at different torrent sites etc in pdf format if you wish to sample the book befr you buy. ;)

Basically everything you could need and can put on a computer can be found...

Archived