Premed 101 Forums

anatomical vs general pathology in canada

Guest copacetic

Guest copacetic

why are there like only one general pathology spot in canada and so many anatomical pathology spots (comparatively) i mean, in the states most folks in path do general pathology, so they've got more skills right? why dont we do the same here in canada? arent you more attractive if you do a general path thing anyways? do canadian path guys do a subspecialty in clinical path to make up for the deficit in skills?

why are there like only one general pathology spot in canada and so many anatomical pathology spots (comparatively) i mean, in the states most folks in path do general pathology, so they've got more skills right? why dont we do the same here in canada? arent you more attractive if you do a general path thing anyways? do canadian path guys do a subspecialty in clinical path to make up for the deficit in skills?

As far as I know, Canadian AP paths don't do extra training in clinical path.

It's a tough situation for path people.

Given the trend towards specialization, general paths aren't likely to get a job in teaching hospitals in the major city, where paths guys do a fellowship in a specific area on top of their AP training.

As well, many smaller hospitals are sending their path slides to larger center because many surgeons demand subspecialty reads. One example is Richmond hosp in Vancouver - where all slides are send to Vancouver General.

Doing general path may be a good option in that you open up doors in the states esp in private labs, but will make you less competitive for jobs in Canada.

Guest copacetic

but i thought general path was AP + CP? is that not the case? it seems to me that if you've got both AP skills, and CP skills, you would be better off in the job hunt. if not, then what exactly is general path? thanks for the response by the way!

There's definitely more than one general pathology spot in Canada. Check under Laboratory Medicine in the CaRMS program directory.

General pathology = AP + chemistry + microbiology + hemepath. Broader skills, but not the same level of expertise in AP as someone who has trained in AP exclusively, of course.

If you wanted to specialize in a "clinical pathology" area, there are residencies available for Medical Biochemistry, Medical Microbiology, and Hematopathology under CaRMS.

It would be possible to use your elective time in an AP program to gain additional skills in a clinical area, most likely hemepath as it is the most related to AP. I have been told that one could try to sell this as an additional skill when looking for a job.

General pathologists may not work in the university hospital, but at least where I've trained, all the other 3 hospitals in the city employ GP as well as AP people. During the electives I've done, I've heard that GP is most in demand in Canada, and most people end up in the community. AP would be better if you wanted to work in academics or a major centre.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

Archived