Premed 101 Forums

Is it tougher to get in as a Canadian?

Guest mk08

prove that in writing, only because what I think you are referring to does not imply that at all. Because at least for case, I am pretty sure they don't care.

Sure. Here it is:

"Preference is given to United States citizens, although exceptional applicants who are citizens of other countries are occasionally admitted. These individuals should refer to the Noncitizen Tuition Policy before applying."

http://www.amc.edu/Academic/Undergraduate_Admissions/index.html

"International applicants are eligible to apply to TUSM, but should be advised that we admit very few international applicants and give strong preference to United States citizens and permanent residents."

http://www.tufts.edu/med/admissions/md/eligibility/index.html

"Since the number of qualified applicants from the United States alone far exceeds the number of places available, international applicants generally are not encouraged to seek admission to U.S. medical schools. Of the 17,759 students enrolled in first-year classes in U.S. medical schools in 2007 only 164 were non U.S. citizens and most of these students had permanent resident status. Historically, 1-3 international students matriculate at the School of Medicine annually."

http://casemed.case.edu/admissions/process/internationalstudents.cfm

You can still have "safety schools" if your stats are super high.

They just won't be what most people would consider safety schools.

Everything's relative, so...

It makes perfect sense that some schools with lower average wouldn't want to interview/accept applicants with extreme numbers because it's a waste of time for both parties and also the matriculating/accepted ratio is important for the schools in terms of ranking.

There are just so many schools in the US and a typical applicant applies to a whole bunch of them,

and they know it too.

It makes perfect sense that some schools with lower average wouldn't want to interview/accept applicants with extreme numbers because it's a waste of time for both parties and also the matriculating/accepted ratio is important for the schools in terms of ranking.

There are just so many schools in the US and a typical applicant applies to a whole bunch of them,

and they know it too.

Well there may be reasons as to why someone wouldn't want to order their school preference in terms of USNews ranking...

and they know it too.

Aren't the schools with lower average the "safety schools" usually? So if they don't interview/accept applicants with extreme numbers...doesn't that mean there is no such thing as a "safety school"?

Sure. Here it is:

"Preference is given to United States citizens, although exceptional applicants who are citizens of other countries are occasionally admitted. These individuals should refer to the Noncitizen Tuition Policy before applying."

http://www.amc.edu/Academic/Undergraduate_Admissions/index.html

"International applicants are eligible to apply to TUSM, but should be advised that we admit very few international applicants and give strong preference to United States citizens and permanent residents."

http://www.tufts.edu/med/admissions/md/eligibility/index.html

"Since the number of qualified applicants from the United States alone far exceeds the number of places available, international applicants generally are not encouraged to seek admission to U.S. medical schools. Of the 17,759 students enrolled in first-year classes in U.S. medical schools in 2007 only 164 were non U.S. citizens and most of these students had permanent resident status. Historically, 1-3 international students matriculate at the School of Medicine annually."

http://casemed.case.edu/admissions/process/internationalstudents.cfm

That's exactly what I thought you were referring to (at least for case). They are referring to internationals that are from another country and are not domestic canadians. Dr. Lina Mehta reassured me of this when I interviewed there last cycle.

I can't speak about the rest.

Aren't the schools with lower average the "safety schools" usually? So if they don't interview/accept applicants with extreme numbers...doesn't that mean there is no such thing as a "safety school"?

YES.

I wasted a crap load of money applying to schools like AECOM, Tufts, GW etc. that wouldn't interview me because they knew I wouldn't attend.

That said, hindsight is 20/20. You can't really assume you'll have a competitive application so you should apply broadly anyway. But none of these schools are "safeties."

YES.

I wasted a crap load of money applying to schools like AECOM, Tufts, GW etc. that wouldn't interview me because they knew I wouldn't attend.

That said, hindsight is 20/20. You can't really assume you'll have a competitive application so you should apply broadly anyway. But none of these schools are "safeties."

AECOM is never going to be a safety school for anyone because it is pretty highly ranked.

A lot of it is about fit. GW really looks for people who will get involved in the public health aspect of medicine and I think thats what got me the interview.

Thinking the following is wrong: MY gpa and MCAT are on par with a school's, s there is no reason to get an interview.

This is more like it: My gpa and mcat are on par with a school's, so chances are if I DO get rejected it was NOT due to my gpa and mcat.

This "luck" element is about fit. There is no such thing as a safety because schools pick on more than just numbers.

AECOM is never going to be a safety school for anyone because it is pretty highly ranked.

A lot of it is about fit. GW really looks for people who will get involved in the public health aspect of medicine and I think thats what got me the interview.

Thinking the following is wrong: MY gpa and MCAT are on par with a school's, s there is no reason to get an interview.

This is more like it: My gpa and mcat are on par with a school's, so chances are if I DO get rejected it was NOT due to my gpa and mcat.

This "luck" element is about fit. There is no such thing as a safety because schools pick on more than just numbers.

I know what you're saying about fit, but my application was very public health focused. I had no basic science research...all of my background was in economics and epidemiology, and my personal statement included my strong interest in public health. I thought I was a lock for GW honestly.

I know this sounds bratty to say, but I had an almost 100% application-interview ratio for basic science research intensive schools in the top 20, while I only got 3 interviews outside of the top 20. So I don't think it's a coincidence or an issue of fit.

I know this sounds bratty to say, but I had an almost 100% application-interview ratio for basic science research intensive schools in the top 20, while I only got 3 interviews outside of the top 20. So I don't think it's a coincidence or an issue of fit.

I definitely agree with what you're saying here.

Archived