Premed 101 Forums

Is it a good strategy to keep reapplying to preferred IM subspecialty?

treadmill

Hey guys,

I was just wondering... Supposing you're in IM and your goal was say cardiology or GI... If in PGY3, you don't get your prefered subspecialty, is it a good idea to keep reapplying, rather than picking some other subspecialty that accepts you? (As in are your chances weaker, when reapplying)

And say you've done all the 4 years and are now a general internist. (Who's been working for a few years) Would you be less competitive to PGY3 and other fresher/younger applicants when applying to a subspecialty?

I would appreciate some comments from the IM residents out there. Thanks :)

Hey guys,

I was just wondering... Supposing you're in IM and your goal was say cardiology or GI... If in PGY3, you don't get your prefered subspecialty, is it a good idea to keep reapplying, rather than picking some other subspecialty that accepts you? (As in are your chances weaker, when reapplying)

And say you've done all the 4 years and are now a general internist. (Who's been working for a few years) Would you be less competitive to PGY3 and other fresher/younger applicants when applying to a subspecialty?

I would appreciate some comments from the IM residents out there. Thanks :)

I agree with ffp.

Unless there are reasons for not applying to enough programs, realistically you have ONE shot - cuz your applications aren't likely to get better during your time off, and re-applicant may be viewed as "tainted meat" who's already got his/her chances but did not make it.

Archived