Premed 101 Forums

Hours in IM

ubcredfox

Hi,

I've been lurking for a while and haven't found a decent answer to my question. Maybe we could try hammering out some consensus re: the hours in IM.

What are average attending hours like? Does it vary between academic and community hospitals? Average call? What can you expect for sub-specialties, specifically: critical care (ICU), cardio, GI, rheum, nephro, endocrine...

I'd like to do IM, but I also want to have a life...

is that actually true though?

i feel like a lot of people say that, but i haven't actually seen an attending that does that yet. i feel like it's a myth....

does anyone have any examples? or even the averages for the hours in IM?

I have a preceptor (in GIM) who's also involved with teaching. She says that because she teaches and does some education admin, she gets a more flexible schedule that allows her to spend some days at home, watch her child grow up, etc... I don't have specific numbers for hours/week or anything, but she seems relatively happy with the degree of freedom the combo of GIM/education gives her.

I really wonder how easy it is to do; I'm certain that yes you could sacrifice income to get a better lifestyle. That's easy enough to do. However, I think the complication might come in from getting hired at a hospital, academic or community, with the sole intention of only working part time etc.

Regarding the comment of flexibility, I'm sure that you can juggle hours around, but I think there's little point to this "flexibility" if you're choosing between working 60 hours a week and 80 hours.

Ffp, since you're in cardio, what sort of hours would you say that your attendings work? The guys that I know here seem to work 1:5 call (that's the size of their group) plus about 8am-6pm on days.

Archived