Premed 101 Forums

NSERC Average

I just got my marks back from my exams, and I'm pretty sure my average is sitting at an 86. I'm thinking of applying for NSERC awards at my school (UWO), but people tell me that even those with 92+ averages don't win these awards. Does anyone have any experience with this, or how high their average was when they won? Bear in mind that I'm in first year, and my marks will certainly go up in the coming semester (I'm hoping for 90ish as final average).

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I looked at the research sticky, but couldn't find the kind of grades one would need to be competitive.

All you technically need is a 3.5 to get an NSERC. That said, you're fighting an uphill battle for 2 reasons

1) A lot of the less exceptional students who get NSERC's have parents in the health care field. It's more about who you know than what you know

2) NSERC's are typically reserved for more upper year undergrads. You'll struggle to get one out of 1st year

Might as well apply anyway, as I know people who got NSERC's out of first year, but don't get your hopes too high

I just got my marks back from my exams, and I'm pretty sure my average is sitting at an 86. I'm thinking of applying for NSERC awards at my school (UWO), but people tell me that even those with 92+ averages don't win these awards. Does anyone have any experience with this, or how high their average was when they won? Bear in mind that I'm in first year, and my marks will certainly go up in the coming semester (I'm hoping for 90ish as final average).

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I looked at the research sticky, but couldn't find the kind of grades one would need to be competitive.

I got an NSERC with an 80 avg, but I had a great ref from a prof I was volunteering with and had laid out a good research plan

they look more at your research 'potential' than your marks, necessarily

at least, this is how these awards are given out at Queen's

All you technically need is a 3.5 to get an NSERC. That said, you're fighting an uphill battle for 2 reasons

1) A lot of the less exceptional students who get NSERC's have parents in the health care field. It's more about who you know than what you know

2) NSERC's are typically reserved for more upper year undergrads. You'll struggle to get one out of 1st year

Might as well apply anyway, as I know people who got NSERC's out of first year, but don't get your hopes too high

I don't see what the health care field has to do with NSERC, unless said parents are researchers, but in which case they'd be more likely to be useful contacts for CIHR grants.

I got an NSERC with an 80 avg, but I had a great ref from a prof I was volunteering with and had laid out a good research plan

they look more at your research 'potential' than your marks, necessarily

at least, this is how these awards are given out at Queen's

I second this CAS, being from queen's myself. However in the absence of reseach potential, which is an abstract at the least, you will need marks. Next best thing. My prof who reviewed NSERC files said 88+ and you are competitive all around, but can get by with less if you show interest.

I disagree with a lot of the comments above. I did not have a super high GPA but I still got my NSERC.

Its up to your school how they divy it up. They get the money and then they grant it to whoever they feel is best qualified. At some schools, they divide up the applications based on the department (ie chemistry, pediatrics, etc) and then look at the applications within that department. Last year, I know at my school they had money left over after they had granted all of their initial awards so they asked a lot of professors to have their students apply that were not even summer students, but just students they were supervising for honors projects and such.

Also, I do not have family members in the health field so that has absolutely nothing to do with it and although that may be true for some, I think the whole argument of having relatives in the field is blown way out of proportion. If you are a good candidate then you alone can show you deserve it without needing others to do it for you.

Keep in mind that your supervisor must have an active NSERC grant at the time you apply and in the end, whats the worst that can happen? So you might as well apply.

NSERC completely depends on what your research is.

If your research is health-based, then you will be applying for the CIHR studentship (they have a trio of grants from the federal government--CIHR for health-based research, NSERC for strictly science and SSERC for mental health and social science I believe (?)).

You definitely do not an insane GPA to get these awards. When I got my first CIHR I only had a 3.4 gpa. With that said, I had a lot of research expierence and my supervisor is VERY well renowed in his field so that makes a huge difference.

I know some people with 3.9+ gpa that did not get NSERC/CIHR because of their proff.

So really, just apply. You have nothing to lose and it's a gamble either way.

I think it depends on the school

When I was in Undergrad at Western, the NSERC grants for my program was strictly based on marks. I'm talking about X number of people apply, doesn't matter what their research entails as long as they have a supervisor backing them up, then they just sort the marks in order, and give the grants starting from the top and work their way down until they have given out all they can for that program.

At Western a lot depends on the faculty. If you are applying through the Faculty of Science it is easier. If you are applying through Schulich Medicine then you need to be more competitive.

I know that for 2007 the average was ~88% over all years within Schulich Medicine.

I know lots of people with low 80-83s who got NSERC within the Faculty of Science in 2006 and in 2007. I also had a roommate that got NSERC after first year within the Faculty of Science in 2005.

i think you contact a prof, tell them you're interested in working with their project and get them to agree becoming your supervisor. then you can apply for the nserc and get it accepted or rejected

i have a question though, do they look at your overall gpa or would they look at your science gpa?

You have to contact a prof yourself, and get it set up. The prof has to be NSERC-funded as well, in order to sponsor you. I think they look at your overall average, instead of your GPA I believe. Kyle, you have to get your applications in by January 6th, otherwise they won't look at them (for biology, at least). Better get on that.

Archived