Premed 101 Forums

verifiers

• 2 weeks later...
so does anyone have any update on this? no one has checked any of my verifiers but I am not in contact with all of them regularly. do they check everyones verifiers? or only those on the bubble?

thanks

I am in first year, and as far as I know, my extracurricular verifiers were not contacted.

Well I applied last year, and UBC contacted 2 of my verifiers! or at least only 2 of them told me about it. I found out this year when I was contacting them for my current application. I think they randomely choose verifiers from your list and contact them. You should email your verifiers to make sure you both agree on the number of hours and tasks before putting them down on your application, since that's what they asked mine.

• 1 month later...

i put the wrong year one activity and I had a crappy description for another so I think they wanted to follow up. my bad for being lazy and not putting in enough effort. but after writing the autobiography my heart just wasn't into doing a stellar job on the activity descriptions...

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that if your verifier disagrees with something you said, ubc will contact you and say "Kiwi! you got some 'splaining to do!!"

so you can get the misunderstanding or whatever sorted out. It wouldn't be fair if they just took the verifier's word and discredited you without getting your side of the story.

What happens if your verifier disagrees with something like the # of hours? Would UBC contact you so you have a chance to explain yourself? (I didn't lie about anything but sometimes misunderstandings can occur)

It's an application for medical school. If you're not that competent or care enough to fill the application correctly, they why should they care? I don't think they'll call you and let you explain yourself. Please...they don't have an applicant shortage you know.

They're not stupid, and they know what they're doing. If they catch you lying, they will circulate your name to other medical schools so you won't be able to apply anywhere in North America!!

It's not that hard, just make sure you and your verifier agree on what you put down when you first email them for permission.

I'm not sure who that was directed at but not everyone can afford to take the copious hours of time off work to compile a perfect autobiography and NAQ list.

And yes, kiwi, they do contact you to tell you there was a discrepancy and then give you a chance to explain it, so not to worry if it happens (unless it really was a lie :eek: ).

Chill dan, not directing anything at anyone specific. I'm just saying it shouldn't be that difficult to fill out the application properly, not much to expect from a future doctor. Yes, take some extra time out of your busy life to compile a perfect autobiography and NAQ list for your medical school application.

Chill dan, not directing anything at anyone specific. I'm just saying it shouldn't be that difficult to fill out the application properly, not much to expect from a future doctor. Yes, take some extra time out of your busy life to compile a perfect autobiography and NAQ list for your medical school application.

It's not necessarily you filling it out improperly, but could be the verifier who incorrectly reported your hours. Try to be a better critical thinker next time, not much to expect from a future doctor. ;)

O another question for those that had their verifier contacted. Does UBC call/email them saying that : person x said he/she did y for z hours on the UBC med-school application; then ask if that information is accurate. Or do UBC ask the verifiers themselves to provide a description/# of hours of what the applicant did?

Thanks in advance

Archived