Premed 101 Forums

Ethical Questions - What Should You Consider?

dr.mango

Hi...

I've heard over & over again that when you're asked an ethical question whats important is how you answer it & not particularly, what you say.

I've read the book Doing Right & have a fair understanding of ethics...but, my question really is - what are you supposed to consider?? How do you determine how many things to consider?

For Example....if you're given the question about a 12 year old girl coming to you for birth control pills, what sides/angles of this situation would you consider? How many possible ways can you actually look at this issue?

For Example....if you're given the question about a 12 year old girl coming to you for birth control pills, what sides/angles of this situation would you consider? How many possible ways can you actually look at this issue?

Let's see... sides/angles... How about: rights of the patient, rights of the patient's parents (as she's a minor), responsibilities of the physician. If I had to answer this (or any) ethical question, I would start by outlining the considerations independently for each of these perspectives, then I'd give my decision that accounted for these points. Although you eventually have to side with one position, you've made it clear that you're aware of all viewpoints.

Plus, while you're discussing the different perspectives, you're essentially narrating the problem to youself - giving you time to solidify your answer if the situation is something you haven't considered before. ;)

Archived