Premed 101 Forums

How should I approach this

What should my next step be?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What should my next step be?

• A second undergraduate degree (prolly in Psych)
    • A course-based masters degree (prolly in epidemiology or something similar)

I think you should stick it out in nursing, because it will ultimately give you a lot of good experiences for medicine. I did a 2 year accelerated BN degree following a sub-par performance in a BSc program, all with the intention of ultimately going into medicine (which I now have). This decision definitely helped boost my GPA (nursing GPA was probably in the 3.75 range which was way higher than in my science degree). I realize the material you have to learn in nursing is often times ridiculous and has absolutely no practical application. That said, nursing is an incredibly diverse field and once you're finished you can do a lot of things with the degree while you're waiting to get into medicine. You can also pretty much walk into a job once you graduate and make pretty good money. Nursing also has plenty of areas for further career development like management, nurse practitioner, or nurse anesthetist in the States if medicine doesn't happen. While I realize you previously said you wouldn't want to be an NP, there is the reality that lots of people don't make it into med, and being an NP is a pretty good fall back plan in my opinion (it was my plan B). And believe me I know where you're coming from with the subjective marking (thank god my school used pass/fail for clinical rotations or my GPA would have been a different story). All I can say is push through as best you can. Also think about moving to a different province when you graduate (or better yet up North), as this will really enable you to increase the number of schools you can apply to. I was thinking of moving up North for a year or two, as I could have make really good money working as an RN, and could have applied to all the western med schools (I think) as IP.

Bottom line is 4 years ago I was exactly where you are now. I thought nursing school was awful, but ultimately I'm glad I stuck it out, and I haven't regretted doing the degree or the time I spent working as an RN prior to entering med.

Good Luck.

Thanks for that reply. It puts things in perspective for me.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived