Premed 101 Forums

How should I approach this

What should my next step be?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What should my next step be?

• A second undergraduate degree (prolly in Psych)
    • A course-based masters degree (prolly in epidemiology or something similar)

Hey everyone

I am new here so I guess I will tell you all a bit about myself. I graduate from McMaster health sciencesa few years back with an OMSAS GPA of about 3.25 (something like that). I think my UofT adjusted GPA would be about 3.6. I took the MCAT in 2004 and scored 10verb, 8bio, 8phys, S.

I know that I need to retake the MCAT and improve my GPA.

Since graduating I have traveled a bit and worked as a tutor and at a bank.

When I was younger (High School through till 2nd year university) I volunteered in hospitals and senior's residences and I worked as a phlebotomist and EKG tech. I also did a few years of research in neurology at Toronto Western Hospital but never published anything.

After thinking about it for a long time and being exposed to it as well, I think that I would make a good physician and that I would enjoy it as well.

I want to start medical school in Ontario in 2011. That is my goal.

Now, my question to all of you is, how do I reach that goal? What should I do to get there?

Signed,

2011hope

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, you basically answered your own question....

Okay, but how should I go about doing this? Should I do another undergraduate degree? Should I just do another year or two of non-degree status undergraduate courses? Should I do a masters degree?

I am 26 years old and I support myself so these are all real concerns. Any advice you have on the best way to prepare so that I have good odds of admission for 2011 would be appreciated.

Okay, but how should I go about doing this? Should I do another undergraduate degree? Should I just do another year or two of non-degree status undergraduate courses? Should I do a masters degree?

I am 26 years old and I support myself so these are all real concerns. Any advice you have on the best way to prepare so that I have good odds of admission for 2011 would be appreciated.

I wouldn't do a master's if you have low GPA AND already have several years' worth of research experience. What is your GPA year-by-year?

How you approach this will depend on what med school you want to go to. For example, if you want to go to Manitoba (I know you don't, but I'm just using this school as an example because I know their policies), you would want to make sure your MCAT is stellar since it's 40% of your admission (whereas GPA is only 15%). But if you want to go to McMaster, don't even bother rewriting the MCAT (because they don't use it--at least for the time being) and spend some time focusing on getting straight A+'s in a bunch of courses. Whether you do non-degree credit or a second degree is really up to you. Some schools might have a preference how you approach this, so look into whether your target school really cares or not.

How you approach this will depend on what med school you want to go to. For example, if you want to go to Manitoba (I know you don't, but I'm just using this school as an example because I know their policies), you would want to make sure your MCAT is stellar since it's 40% of your admission (whereas GPA is only 15%). But if you want to go to McMaster, don't even bother rewriting the MCAT (because they don't use it--at least for the time being) and spend some time focusing on getting straight A+'s in a bunch of courses. Whether you do non-degree credit or a second degree is really up to you. Some schools might have a preference how you approach this, so look into whether your target school really cares or not.

I would prefer to go to either UofT or McMaster with my preference being for McMaster.

What do you all think of doing one year of undergraduate work as a non-degree student in order to boost my gpa?

I would prefer to go to either UofT or McMaster with my preference being for McMaster.

What do you all think of doing one year of undergraduate work as a non-degree student in order to boost my gpa?

If one year of good grades will be enough to bring your GPA up to where you want it, then this should be a perfectly fine approach to take.

If one year of good grades will be enough to bring your GPA up to where you want it, then this should be a perfectly fine approach to take.

Yeah, but wasn't the lowest GPA for McMaster like 3.6 last year? If you have a 3.25 over 4 years, then even if you pull off a 4.0 in your 5th, you're looking at like a 3.4. I think with a cumulative that low, you are probably better off focusing on schools that drop your weakest years/courses, such as Queen's, U of T, UWO.

Mac is a long shot with a low gpa, even if you do a second degree, Macs cumulative gpa would still put you at a disadvantage. An option you may want to consider is grad school...because with an MSc (and good MCAT):

-grad student gpa cutoff for UofT is 3.0 and you can compensate for poor undergrad with great grad work (publications, presentations, posters etc.)

-as a grad student, Queens will consider your grad marks as part of your best two year GPA cutoff for selecting interviews. In a general thesis based MSc, you only take 1-2 semester courses as degree requirements, so if you score A+ in 1st year course and an A+ in the second year grad course = technically your last two years for queens would be 4.0. (**they might include 1 of your undergrad years as well). This rule also applies to Calgary, they will use your grad marks into the best two year gpa calculation.

-being a grad student, you only need a weighted GPA of 3.5 for Ottawa, and can be selected to submit an extra 'proof of research productivity' package before interviews.

Unfortunately for Mac and Northern, no big benefits from a grad degree...just a slight boost in your pre-interview score. I'd say retake the MCAT and try again, but if your undergrad GPA is low, you don't necessarily have to do a 2nd degree again if you do extremely well as a graduate student. And since you mentioned that money is an issue, most research/thesis-based grad programs do pay you a stipend of about $20 000/year.

-grad student gpa cutoff for UofT is 3.0 and you can compensate for poor undergrad with great grad work (publications, presentations, posters etc.)

-as a grad student, Queens will consider your grad marks as part of your best two year GPA cutoff for selecting interviews. In a general thesis based MSc, you only take 1-2 semester courses as degree requirements, so if you score A+ in 1st year course and an A+ in the second year grad course = technically your last two years for queens would be 4.0. (**they might include 1 of your undergrad years as well). This rule also applies to Calgary, they will use your grad marks into the best two year gpa calculation.

-being a grad student, you only need a weighted GPA of 3.5 for Ottawa, and can be selected to submit an extra 'proof of research productivity' package before interviews.

Cool. I didn't know all that. OneDay, are you going this route?

Mac is a long shot with a low gpa, even if you do a second degree, Macs cumulative gpa would still put you at a disadvantage. An option you may want to consider is grad school...because with an MSc (and good MCAT):

Unfortunately for Mac and Northern, no big benefits from a grad degree...just a slight boost in your pre-interview score. I'd say retake the MCAT and try again, but if your undergrad GPA is low, you don't necessarily have to do a 2nd degree again if you do extremely well as a graduate student. And since you mentioned that money is an issue, most research/thesis-based grad programs do pay you a stipend of about $20 000/year.

Hey, thanks for the great reply. I have thought about the grad school route but the thing is, I don't have any research interests that I really want to explore. I would be doing it just to get into med school and I don't know if that's all that cool, you know? I've done a lot of research and the truth is I really don't like doing it. Plus, from what I have seen I need to take graduate entrance exams to get into grad school, don't I?

Cool. I didn't know all that. OneDay, are you going this route?

Yup, did a lot of research to figure out how to get around my crappy undergrad gpa. I didn't know I wanted to do meds till after undergrad, which really put me at a huge disadvantage. But I worked so hard during grad school and I feel like I am a more competitive applicant. There is hope!

Hey, thanks for the great reply. I have thought about the grad school route but the thing is, I don't have any research interests that I really want to explore. I would be doing it just to get into med school and I don't know if that's all that cool, you know? I've done a lot of research and the truth is I really don't like doing it. Plus, from what I have seen I need to take graduate entrance exams to get into grad school, don't I?

Well I did go into grad school initially as a time filler (and to have a good plan B, jobwise). But I did enjoy the experience. I didn't enjoy my senior thesis since the research was not something I was interested in....cellular bio lab, long hours working alone. For my MSc, I looked at several different schools and the programs, I knew exactly the area I wanted to go into, and then it was a matter of finding a good prof. I really enjoyed my MSc because I did like my topic and it was more clinical research. There is always something out there that could interest you. And no, I did not write my GRE (having to write multiple MCATs has definitely turned me off standardized tests). But if you don't like it, don't go into it for the sake of getting into med school. You will hate your life for 2 years.

Hey everyone

I am new here so I guess I will tell you all a bit about myself. I graduate from McMaster health sciencesa few years back with an OMSAS GPA of about 3.25 (something like that). I think my UofT adjusted GPA would be about 3.6. I took the MCAT in 2004 and scored 11verb, 8bio, 8phys, S.

I know that I need to retake the MCAT and improve my GPA.

Since graduating I have traveled a bit and worked as a tutor and at a bank.

When I was younger (High School through till 2nd year university) I volunteered in hospitals and senior's residences and I worked as a phlebotomist and EKG tech. I also did a few years of research in neurology at Toronto Western Hospital but never published anything.

After thinking about it for a long time and being exposed to it as well, I think that I would make a good physician and that I would enjoy it as well.

I want to start medical school in Ontario in 2011. That is my goal.

Now, my question to all of you is, how do I reach that goal? What should I do to get there?

Signed,

2011hope

i didn't know people today still receive phlebotomy (except for having too much iron). i think most allopaths either openly or secretly look down on homeopathy, so maybe you should be careful in choosing what to say about phlebotomy. others can correct me if i'm wrong.

i didn't know people today still receive phlebotomy (except for having too much iron). i think most allopaths either openly or secretly look down on homeopathy, so maybe you should be careful in choosing what to say about phlebotomy. others can correct me if i'm wrong.

I think a phlebotomist is just a fancy word for people who draw blood and stuff.

I'm not sure of what you speak. My work as a phlebotomist entailed drawing blood samples from people for diagnostic purposes. I worked for a medical lab and a hospital. And I am one of those who looks down upon homeopathy :)

Yup, did a lot of research to figure out how to get around my crappy undergrad gpa. I didn't know I wanted to do meds till after undergrad, which really put me at a huge disadvantage. But I worked so hard during grad school and I feel like I am a more competitive applicant. There is hope!

Good luck & keep us posted on your progress! I need inspiration! :D

Unfortunately for Mac and Northern, no big benefits from a grad degree...just a slight boost in your pre-interview score

where did you get this? i have never once read this and was told repeatedly that only undergrad courses are counted into your gpa calc.

as for ottawa, 3.5 weighted is barely enough even with great grad credentials

sorry to say, but a grad degree does very little for you

in fact, the above poster is particularly off with NOSM because they are the ones that give the greatest boost to grad students with a baseline gpa boost of .2 to all MSc/PhD students/holders.

I have no idea where you get your info from OneDay but please be careful with getting peoples' hopes up using false information.

edit: i'm referring particularly to queen's. i don't know anything about calgary as i am oop for them and didn't apply.

CAS: The info that I posted about grad student med admissions are either directly from OMSAS booklet (Toronto/Mac/Ottawa) from emails from the admissions offices (Queens/Calgary). I did not make this up to give myself or others any false hope. What I posted was accurate. I was not trying to convince the OP of the grad route, just wanted to post the benefits in terms of med admission.

-for ottawa, yes wGPA of 3.5, that is all I said, I didn't say automatic in with a 3.5. I justed wanted the OP to know the different cutoff for grad students

-for NOSM, yes grad students get that 0.2 boost rather than the pre-interview score like at Mac

-For Queens, I have been told from the admission office that for grad students your grad marks will be used in the GPA calculation. And that info has also been posted (several times) on the Queens forum.

CAS in your opinion a grad degree is not beneficial. Not everyone shares your view.

where did you get this? i have never once read this and was told repeatedly that only undergrad courses are counted into your gpa calc.

as for ottawa, 3.5 weighted is barely enough even with great grad credentials

sorry to say, but a grad degree does very little for you

in fact, the above poster is particularly off with NOSM because they are the ones that give the greatest boost to grad students with a baseline gpa boost of .2 to all MSc/PhD students/holders.

I have no idea where you get your info from OneDay but please be careful with getting peoples' hopes up using false information.

edit: i'm referring particularly to queen's. i don't know anything about calgary as i am oop for them and didn't apply.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure of what you speak. My work as a phlebotomist entailed drawing blood samples from people for diagnostic purposes. I worked for a medical lab and a hospital. And I am one of those who looks down upon homeopathy :)

pardon my ignorance. i always thought phlebotomists are people who did bloodletting to release bad humors. and i thought people who drew blood samples were nurses.

Archived