Premed 101 Forums

Evaluation after interview

hi guys, I'm new here. I was just wondering if anyone knows how UBC determines your acceptance after the interview round. Do they combine the AQ and the NAQ and the interview scores together or is it simply the interview that matters now? I think that I was probably a border-line invite for the interview and I'd like to know if all invitees are on the same playing field or if the people with high TFR automatically get an advantage? Thanks!

I don't know exact weights for everything, but I do know the whole file is looked at for final decisions, and your essay comes into play after the interview as well. When I went to the information sessions, the lady said they don't assign "points" to the essay, but they use the essays to determine which applicants have the most passion and are most ready to start medical school right now - it's basically a tie breaker after the interview.

I don't know exact weights for everything, but I do know the whole file is looked at for final decisions, and your essay comes into play after the interview as well. When I went to the information sessions, the lady said they don't assign "points" to the essay, but they use the essays to determine which applicants have the most passion and are most ready to start medical school right now - it's basically a tie breaker after the interview.

This is news to me. I thought I was pretty well informed. Can you tell me your source? Was the info session in Vancouver or elsewhere? Can anyone else confirm this?

I would think that the process would be easier for the adcom if they put the pre-interview scores into a spreadsheet and put them to bed for good. I thought that the MMI's were designed to elucidate some of the "passion and readiness" that candidates possess.

This is a teaser for me at the moment. My essay is probably the strongest part of my application so far.

i also think MMI performance is the biggest factor after interview..the essay, naq, aq are still obviously important, but if u do really well on the interview, u can beat others with higher pre-interview scores, but lower MMI scores. mcat + pre-req avg are used as tie-breakers. just what i've heard over the yrs.

i also think MMI performance is the biggest factor after interview..the essay, naq, aq are still obviously important, but if u do really well on the interview, u can beat others with higher pre-interview scores, but lower MMI scores. mcat + pre-req avg are used as tie-breakers. just what i've heard over the yrs.

Tru dat. Time to kill the interview!

This is news to me. I thought I was pretty well informed. Can you tell me your source? Was the info session in Vancouver or elsewhere? Can anyone else confirm this?

I went to two of the official information sessions held at the Woodward building at UBC, so my information is straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Although, the lady also said that using a family member was fine for the personal reference, yet the website has made it clear this is not the case, so it's hard to know exactly what information to trust - UBC seems to change their minds a lot!

Archived