- 8 pre-interview rejections

- 2 pre-interview holds

>>> out of 14 interview invites:

- 2 post interview rejections (ouch)

- 5 post interview waitlists

- 2 withdrew/did not attend interview

- 2 schools: waiting to hear decision

- 3 acceptances

Anything can happen. Apply to a lot of places if you can! I was fairly successful with the interview invites.

I got a few nice invites at top 20 schools probably b/c I had good numbers (3.6+ GPA, 36+ MCAT). My drawback is that I lacked significant research experience. A year max of research. I would probably attribute this to my lack of success in landing a top 20 acceptance (so far).

As much as people might say that everyone is on the same playing field once they land the interview, that simply can't be true. I've met some amazing applicants, and I feel that schools kinda know who they want to accept based on your paper application. They over-interview on purpose.

my god, that must have cost you a fortune. I applied to 12, and it was already a lot of money!

100$ to write a freakin secondary! It's almost criminal.

• 1 month later...
Guest viscous

how much does it cost on average while applying to 15 US schools (both primaries and secondaries)? I should gird up my loin by finding a temporary job.

moreover, do you guys get your personal statements proof-read by 5 different English profs? I suspect that no one would be kind enough to go through our 15 different ps for 15 school and specially when each has multiple questions ....

Yep there were definitely some interviews I went on where I felt like the outcome was already a foregone conclusion from the start.

I really do believe they already have a sense of who they want to admit pre-interview. And they interview a certain number who are under-qualified, just in case the superstars on paper end up being completely socially inept.

I think the main purpose of the interview process in the US is to impress the future admits.

That's what many chairs of the top schools adcom said when they met us is that interview for them is number one to get rid of the brilliant psychopaths. I mean how many of those are in the interview pool realistically? So I wouldn't be surprised if interview is just a formality or simply doesn't carry as much weight as people think.

Hey hope this helps:

MCAT: 13 10 R 14 - 37R

cGPA: 3.875

EC:

President - Chem Society

VP - Amnesty International Campus

Princeton Review Teacher

3 years Research assistant

Two NSERC USRA

Two honours theses

Two international service trips

3 years hospital experience

etc.

Applied to:

MD only

Georgetown - interview - rejected (first interview - went terribly)

UVirginia - accepted

Case Western - accepted - full scholarship offer

CCLCM (5 year research track) - full tuition scholarship to every student - waitlisted

GWU - haven't heard

AECOM - withdrew - too difficult too apply for md/phd not very helpful admin

Mayo - withdrew - didnt like their research

Harvard - withdrew pre-secondary - already accepted at UVA, Case good enough for me

MD/PhD

Penn state - accepted

Dartmouth - interview - pending decision

UPenn - rejected

UChicago - rejected

how much does it cost on average while applying to 15 US schools (both primaries and secondaries)? I should gird up my loin by finding a temporary job.

moreover, do you guys get your personal statements proof-read by 5 different English profs? I suspect that no one would be kind enough to go through our 15 different ps for 15 school and specially when each has multiple questions ....

THe most important is your primary statement. If you want to send it and have it reviewed feel free. My statement is what got me a lot of interview, each interview I went to they brought it up. I was fortunate enough that someone I know's mother sits on an admission board and was an english teacher so my statement was reviewed and edited quite nicely. With regards to secondaries, make sure your answers all relate back to the curriculum and philosophy of the school. That is what they are looking for. they want YOU to want to go to there school. In the states at interviews you feel like they want you, not like you are begging to go there.

Guest viscous
Hey hope this helps:

MCAT: 13 10 R 14 - 37R

cGPA: 3.875

EC:

President - Chem Society

VP - Amnesty International Campus

Princeton Review Teacher

3 years Research assistant

Two NSERC USRA

Two honours theses

Two international service trips

3 years hospital experience

etc.

Applied to:

MD only

Georgetown - interview - rejected (first interview - went terribly)

UVirginia - accepted

Case Western - accepted - full scholarship offer

CCLCM (5 year research track) - full tuition scholarship to every student - waitlisted

GWU - haven't heard

AECOM - withdrew - too difficult too apply for md/phd not very helpful admin

Mayo - withdrew - didnt like their research

Harvard - withdrew pre-secondary - already accepted at UVA, Case good enough for me

MD/PhD

Penn state - accepted

Dartmouth - interview - pending decision

UPenn - rejected

UChicago - rejected

wow, case western free ride. congrats. what is teh criteria to be considered for full scholarship?

wow, case western free ride. congrats. what is teh criteria to be considered for full scholarship?

I have no idea lol they just sent me a letter after my interview saying you have been accepted and nominated for a full tuition scholarship etc etc.

The average MCAT was 35 though and GPA was 3.85 or something like that. Plus I feel they like people who had international volunteering.

I think I am going to PSU MD/PhD though - its full ride, plus $25000 a year stipend.

I think people underestimate the power of the personal statement (assuming you have the grades). The person who is reading your application is pretty much going to decide if you are to be interviewed or not. If you can write an interesting personal statement that will make them want to meet you, then you have effectively bought yourself a bunch of interviews regardless of your stats.

I don't want to blow my horn or anything, but I don't have nearly the same kind of stats as anyone else in this forum; yet I had 6 interview offers including Boston University and Georgetown (which receive like 12,000 applications each). I can only surmise that it was my personal statement that got my foot through the door.

Don't neglect your personal statement and you should take a few risks with it. An interesting narrative will be far more valuable to you than an amalgamation of every job/achievement in your life.

I think people underestimate the power of the personal statement (assuming you have the grades). The person who is reading your application is pretty much going to decide if you they are going to interview you or not. If you can write an interesting personal statement that will make them want to meet you, then you have effectively bought yourself a bunch of interviews regardless of your stats.

I don't want to blow my horn or anything, but I don't have nearly the same kind of stats as anyone else in this forum; yet I had 6 interview offers including Boston University and Georgetown (which receive like 12,000 applications each). I can only surmise that it was my personal statement that got my foot through the door.

Don't neglect your personal statement and you should take a few risks with it. An interesting narrative will be far more valuable to you than an amalgamation of every job/achievement in your life.

I agree. Although I was rejected at Georgetown (it was actually a terrible interview..."why do you want to go here?" uhhhhh because it's in washington. End sentence. lol ), I feel it was my statement that got me there. They have 10 000 applicants a year, and probably 3000 of them had similar stats to me.

Guest viscous
I think people underestimate the power of the personal statement (assuming you have the grades). The person who is reading your application is pretty much going to decide if you are to be interviewed or not. If you can write an interesting personal statement that will make them want to meet you, then you have effectively bought yourself a bunch of interviews regardless of your stats.

what tips do you give for writing such a personal statement. For example, how much emphasis did you put on getting it proof-read by professionals for not only grammatical mistakes but to also perfect the aesthetics, syntax and structural beauty of the essay?

what tips do you give for writing such a personal statement. For example, how much emphasis did you put on getting it proof-read by professionals for not only grammatical mistakes but to also perfect the aesthetics, syntax and structural beauty of the essay?

A major problem I first had was having an underlying theme to the essay. It didn't flow. I only had it edited because I had free access to the necessary people. However, have your friends, family, coworkers read it and ask them if it really answers the question "Why do I want to go to medical school?" I was always told that the three reasons to go into medicine were curiosity, compassion and commitment. I made those the focus points of my essay (Curiosity - research experience, compassion - tutoring children, international volunteering, hospital volunteering, and commitment - double undergraduate degrees). I am honestly not the greatest writer, but if you can talk about specific examples in your life that have contributed, that will help. I was told as well not to include things related to family, like loved ones getting sick. Although it may well be true that those experiences influenced you, you are likely going to be 1 of 5000 people who also wrote about that.

I'm an avid reader and I am rather confident in my own writing abilities, so I did not seek out professors/professionals to look over my personal statement. I was more concerned about the content/flow and decided to show it to a few members of my family for some feedback. I needed 7 drafts before I was happy with the end product.

Tips? I think if you have an interesting experience you should use it to kick off your personal statement and create a very visual illustration of what happened and how your ambitions were affected. This is especially true if you volunteered abroad for a long time or lived in an exotic country - you want to grab the reader's attention and most people are curious about things that they have not experienced.

In the end, just write something that is interesting and honest, all the while showing your character. I say 'show', because telling them that you are compassionate it pretty useless - write of an experience that demonstrates this and let the reader read between the lines.

Guest viscous
I'm an avid reader and I am rather confident in my own writing abilities, so I did not seek out professors/professionals to look over my personal statement. I was more concerned about the content/flow and decided to show it to a few members of my family for some feedback. I needed 7 drafts before I was happy with the end product.

Tips? I think if you have an interesting experience you should use it to kick off your personal statement and create a very visual illustration of what happened and how your ambitions were affected. This is especially true if you volunteered abroad for a long time or lived in an exotic country - you want to grab the reader's attention and most people are curious about things that they have not experienced.

In the end, just write something that is interesting and honest, all the while showing your character. I say 'show', because telling them that you are compassionate it pretty useless - write of an experience that demonstrates this and let the reader read between the lines.

thanks a lot. Now since I have never made an account on AMCAS, I am not sure how essays work out on that. Like we had a unique essay for UofT which we more or less cannot use for other schools. Does AMCAS have a central essay and then further essays in secondaries? Or you write a generic essay and then suit/alter it for the tons of secondaries you get from all the schools?

thanks a lot. Now since I have never made an account on AMCAS, I am not sure how essays work out on that. Like we had a unique essay for UofT which we more or less cannot use for other schools. Does AMCAS have a central essay and then further essays in secondaries? Or you write a generic essay and then suit/alter it for the tons of secondaries you get from all the schools?

AMCAS Primary - Why do you want to go to med school (or medicine something like that)

Secondaries - vary from school to school

Archived