Premed 101 Forums

Research

Sordelka

Hello there,

I have recently found a research topic I like at my university and would like to try to get involved in the research process. However, I have no previous experience, so I need help. How would I go about getting a place...How do I start. I cannot even formulate it because I have 0 experience in the matter.

I am a Dentistry student without previous university education (I got in right after the Quebec college).

Hey Sordelka,

So you said you found a research topic of interest, so you should know which prof is undergoing research for that topic. Email the prof, tell him that you'd be honored if you could contribute to his research either through a volunteer or a summer research job. If the prof's lab is not full, he'll likely make an appointment with you to meet and discuss.

Good luck!

I myself hope to attain a summer NSERC award, which will net me 1300/month or so and be able to do paid research in the summer with a professor.

No they don't give out NSERC awards to dental students. There are special awards for dental students such as the CIHR health professions research award I got last summer. It doesn't pay very well only like 5K for the summer and with your dental loans plus living expenses you might break even for the 3 months you work.

Question: What kind of work is expected during research as a student? And what other awards are available for dental students?

Question: What kind of work is expected during research as a student? And what other awards are available for dental students?

The kind of work would depend on your skill set, if you don't know what you're doing you can't get a whole lot done in 10 weeks. I have a MSc in molecular pharmacology so I was able to get a lot done in 10 weeks. Awards available would also range depending on location and skill set could range from faculty sponsored to federally/provincially funded awards. Some profs work with industry as well and places like 3M will sponsor summer research.

Archived