Premed 101 Forums

Deferred Exams and Acceptance

I think you might be in trouble. I checked into this quite a bit (corresponding with UBC med admissions because the chem course I needed (orgo) was full in the second semester. From what they told me the deadline is extremely strict. I am supremely doubtful that even if you do awesome in the interview, and would otherwise be offered a spot, that they would allow you to matriculate. It probably wouldn't even get that far though.

You should probably contact admissions and see if you can beg and work something out. I went the other way and begged the chem department to let me in explaining my circumstances. It worked and might be your only feasible option.

Good luck.

My situation is somewhat different but more or less on similar boat. I'm a first year graduate student in a 2 year course based master program. I was hoping to complete it in 1 year by taking the practicum and two other courses in the summer and be eligible for matriculation. Good news is I got invited for the interview, but the bad news is I can only complete everything by mid-August. Since the deadline to finish the degree is July 1st, I might have to be removed from the interview process since my program director cannot lie about my estimated completion date. My question is, if I can extend my master program to 5 years, can I be eligible for this year's interview and subsequent selection process? Or is it a must that I will be finishing my current graduate program before July 1st?

The Masters time limit is STRICT. I defended my thesis last year on July 23rd and was in contact with admissions several times. If ALL degree requirements are not completed by the July 1st deadling (including final thesis submission for thesis based programs) your admissions offer will be revoked. Not sure why they are so picky with this but they are. i think that this year you even have to have a letter from your supervisor saying that you will be finished in time. Although if you are a UBC student you could look into the MD/MSc program although I think that this is only for research based programs but you could check. Good luck

1) yes they are brutally strict with this rule

2) yes when you fill out the online supplementary form for grad students asking if you will complete on time, they then contact your supervisor to verify.

3) there is no MD/MSc, its MD/PhD or nothing. Which complicates a lot of peoples lives because if you are already in an MSc and then apply to the MD/PhD but then don't get into the MD, you can potentially get stuck in a PhD.

Archived