Premed 101 Forums

New Brunswick Out Of Luck 2009

I was just reading that the contract seats for NB at MUN will be decreasing from 10 to 6 this year, how unfair is that, and PEI seats are increasing from 2 to 4. :(

Comments???????? :confused:

Doesn't it seem a little unfair for NB students?

"Total projected enrolment for 2009 and 2010 is 64 students; 46 from Newfoundland

and Labrador, 6 contract positions from New Brunswick, 4 contract positions from

PEI, and 8 others which may include one or two Northwest Territories students"

It's not unfair at all. These seats are funded by the Govt. of NB, not by NL or MUN.

The reason there will be changes in the next few years to NB and PEI seats is NB has decreased the seats at MUN in response to the Dalhousie satellite campus in Saint John that's coming online. NB isn't going to keep funding seats in other provinces if it has the opportunity to fund them in NB. It's a good move politically and economically for the NB govt. PEI picked up a few of the freed up seats at MUN and the NL government picked up the rest as part of the planned increase in NL enrollment.

I think total seats available for NB overall will actually go up by the time everything is done.

Wow, that's crippling to an NB applicant. Of the average 100 interviewees as per the MUN admissions website, only 6 will be offered seats. Even as a (semi) in province candidate, I'm staring down the gun of a 94% rejection rate.

More likely than not, a few of the applicants (maybe 2) will either have been to the Olympics or have won a medal at a national sports competition. More still will have published significant medically related research. I'm slightly embarassed by my fairly extensive EC exposure with 2 years of varsity athletics and involvement with professional executive committees at UNB.

This dream of becoming a doctor becomes more and more of a fantasy every day. What do other applicants feel about this?

As a NB applicant, this does make the outlook a bit dreary, but I guess I can just hope for the best. It does seem unfair that all over Canada, the regionality issue is so strong. NB and PEI students seem to have a disadvantage over others. I realize that Dal is opening up Saint John NB spots next year, but that doesn't help this year's applicants!

More likely than not, a few of the applicants (maybe 2) will either have been to the Olympics or have won a medal at a national sports competition. More still will have published significant medically related research. I'm slightly embarassed by my fairly extensive EC exposure with 2 years of varsity athletics and involvement with professional executive committees at UNB.

Your over-estimating everyone else and under-estimating yourself.

I know very few medical students who published any medical research, let alone significant research during their undergrad or their MD.

Yeah, I would have to agree, don't underestimate yourself or over estimate what other people who are in medicine have done. The cut in seats for NB is unfortunate but is a result of the NB government's cut back in funding for seats because of their new satellite school. Don't underestimate yourself, just keep trying. Good luck!

Archived