Premed 101 Forums

science shmience

MedSchoolAhoy

So I'm a Soc major who hasn't taken any science since grade 11, and even then I didn't excel at it. I'd like to start applying next year to schools, and am thinking about taking an intro bio and chem course in my final year (next) along with my soc honours thesis.

Question: do you think I can write the MCAT and do well by learning all my science through an MCAT prep course and independent study with Kaplan? If the answer is no, then after I graduate I'll take one year of science courses at Uni, but I would much rather just take the review course and study for four months. Let me know.

Also, even though there's no pre req's at the schools I'm applying to (Mac, MUN), do I stand a chance with no science credits to my name?

________

Suzuki SV650

Med schools don't discriminate on what degree your doing or what courses you've taken, but I know I've read somewhere that they look at the how hard your course load was. (not sure how they would determine hardness)

As for no science since grade 11. You'll be fine for all the sections of the mcat except the physical sciences. You should definitely take first year physics. You need gr. 12 physics for the mcat. Thats all I have, I'm in science, but I didn't take first year physics. Depending on how I do on the mcat this year, I might take first year physics.

If you have a solid gpa and good ECs, then for Mac you should be fine for getting an interview.

So I'm a Soc major who hasn't taken any science since grade 11, and even then I didn't excel at it. I'd like to start applying next year to schools, and am thinking about taking an intro bio and chem course in my final year (next) along with my soc honours thesis.

Question: do you think I can write the MCAT and do well by learning all my science through an MCAT prep course and independent study with Kaplan? If the answer is no, then after I graduate I'll take one year of science courses at Uni, but I would much rather just take the review course and study for four months. Let me know.

Also, even though there's no pre req's at the schools I'm applying to (Mac, MUN), do I stand a chance with no science credits to my name?

I learned all the sciences necessary by using the Examkracker books. I had not taken physics since high school, and only one year then (15 years before I wrote the MCAT). I had taken first year chemistry, but it was 12 years before I wrote the MCAT. By just working through the EK books, my physical sciences score was my highest on the test.

Best wishes to you.

Elaine

You don't need to take a course in it - you need the knowledge. You could take a course for that, or you could do it independently. Before I got to university I did the MCAT, it was my "big test" to see if I was able to continue. I learned everything out of MCAT training books and did well on the P.S. section.

I also had a friend who also auditted the physics course - just sat in on all of the lectures and practised with the test book as their MCAT training. She didn't want to add a course she didn't think she would do well in on her transcript.

That's a good idea, just sit through the course without actually registering in it. uOttawa has physics for people that haven't taken gr 12 physics. They have 3 lectures a week instead of 2, so they can catch up. Sitting through something like that might be good, or just learn it on your own. Attempt the mcat and see if you realy need more help in physics.

I learned all the sciences necessary by using the Examkracker books. I had not taken physics since high school, and only one year then (15 years before I wrote the MCAT). I had taken first year chemistry, but it was 12 years before I wrote the MCAT. By just working through the EK books, my physical sciences score was my highest on the test.

Best wishes to you.

Elaine

I second EK physics and chemistry! It's amazing! :D

First time I wrote, I got a 9 with TPR. I wrote again (still very uncertain in my Physics ability) and this time, I felt so confident and ended up with an 11.

I suggest both EK physics, EK chem, along with EK 1001 questions in MCAT physics and 1001 questions in chemistry. I find the latter 2 help reinforce concepts, but after you do that, you will still not score well until you practice, practice, practice writing tests.

Personally, I think it will be critical that you give yourself as much time to study as possible. I wrote last year without having taken bio in high school/university, or organic chem. I had to focus almost all of my time on these two topics just to compete with people that had a stronger background.

I did get a 10 in that section, which I was content with, but I barely had time to glance through the physics/chem review (luckily I'm an engineer). My point is that it can be done, but you will have to allow more time to study than most people. So keep that in mind when you register for the test.

Also, if you're like me, you might find it frustrating to think you could do so much better if you had just taken the stupid courses.

Anyways, good luck!

I did do an mcat review course. My opinion on that is much the same as others - if you have problems with self motivation, it might be for you.

I'm one who doesn't mind putting in the work, but I'm especially effective if I have a specific goal. Thus, the weekly homeworks that my Kaplan course provided were helpful. The classes themselves are not all that useful, but you might find that being around a group of people with the same goals and different backgrounds can be exploited to your advantage.

They are expensive, but if you are serious about doing well, and think it matches your study habits, I do recommend it. The opportunity cost of taking the time to write the test a second time isn't worth it!

Do a thorough study on all the topics and start doing practice tests as soon as possible, even if you aren't quite ready. Then review those tests like crazy, and concentrate your studies accordingly.

The only concern I would have (and had, as an Arts student myself) is that once you *get* to medical school, a reasonable amount of bio/chem background is likely going to make the rush of medical coursework a little more manageable. Who wants to learn about dialysis without knowning basic cellular or renal physiology? Immuno without biochem? It would be very demanding, I'd imagine anyway. :confused:

- Premed guy.

The only concern I would have (and had, as an Arts student myself) is that once you *get* to medical school, a reasonable amount of bio/chem background is likely going to make the rush of medical coursework a little more manageable. Who wants to learn about dialysis without knowning basic cellular or renal physiology? Immuno without biochem? It would be very demanding, I'd imagine anyway. :confused:

- Premed guy.

I am sure it does help, but they go over everything again in detail anyway. This is a by product of their system of letting people in with any degree - they cannot assume you have covered anything before.

And of course nothing stops arts students form taking the basic biology/chem courses during their degree. I started that way before evolving in to a concurrent degree in both arts and science - initially I was just trying to just have a bit of it.

Also you will know you have this "problem" in usually may or june the year before you go in. You will have the summer to pick some things up as well before the big start. That is a problem most of us would love to have :)

I don't think its a huge issue, if the background was really necessary, they would have prerequisite courses for admission (which they don't anymore). I'm hoping they've changed the curriculum somehow so that students without the biochem backgrounds aren't at a major disadvantage.

Archived