Premed 101 Forums

Failing a pre-clinical course

Hi everybody,

I am in my first year. I am not sure how I did on one of my exams.

The average is usually near 70% and the passing grade on the exam

is 60%.

So, i was wondering if I fail one exam and I am usually with the average on my other exams, what are the consequences of

my residency applications?

Thnx!

Thanks for answering!

Yes, my school has grades. And I have to pass the exam in order to pass the course. The preclinical years count for approx. 20% of the CaRMS application. I know that it wasn't very smart of me not to study more, but do you think that potentially failing one course will affect my residency application given that I am doing well and even very well in other courses?

Anybody in the same situation?

The reason I am asking is because I wanted to do a clinical research this coming summer. I have offers in radiology and in cardio departments. I am very interested in both specialties, but i guess that with a horrible FAIL notice in my transcript noone will ever except me in the radiology res. !!!

are you going to school in the states. no canadian schools have grades. they might tell you your score on a test, but those have no bearing.

Just to clarify that while I think it is true that MOST Canadian med schools don't have grades, at my school we do (as do other schools also). We get A+, A-, A..... just like in undergrad accompanied by a GPA. Kind of unfortunate if you ask me but you got to live with what you get I guess!

As for the OP's question, I'm not sure but in our case I think you get to redo another exam in the summer. Best just to check with your school since I'm sure this is very school dependent and there are probably a bunch of different situations that may or may not apply.

Best of luck!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived